BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to make COMPLEX SHAPES (ORGANIC FORMS)?

Anonymous
Not applicable
can anyone tell me where can I find some(any!!!) information about making complex shapes (any kind of organic forms) in archicad?
is it possible at all?!?
or one has to combine MaxonForm with ArchiCad? can I do it without MaxonForm???

thanx in advance!!!
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had some success using the mesh tool
What sort of organic forms are you wanting
to make ?
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to make something like a saddle, if it is a good word, a kind of a curved surface, maybe a "HP surface" if I translated it correctly...
a kind of shape that you can make if you translate a B-spline through the space...

: )
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the mesh tool could be used for this purpose.
Do a search using the key words "roof mesh" and "hyperbolic paraboloid".
I think you will find some discussions about
forms like what you describe.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
you can achieve some organic forms with archiforma...you still need to pay for it but it's much cheaper and lighter than MaxonF. I have both and I find MF not precise.
Archiforma has 3d lines which you can then loft and create curved surfaces. I'm not an expert user but I've been having some probs in creating curved surfaces with thickness...there must be a way though..
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are just in need of a hyperbolic paraboloid (saddle shape), there may be one in the standard library (I know I've seen one somewhere), probably in the "Special Construction" folder (depending on your localization). It's hardly an "organic" shape though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Instead of using Maxonform, I model difficult shapes in SketchUP (Sandbox tool) and import in AC as an object. No parametric objects at all, but one get nice results within minutes...
Karl Ottenstein
Joeri wrote:
Instead of using Maxonform, I model difficult shapes in SketchUP (Sandbox tool) and import in AC as an object. No parametric objects at all, but one get nice results within minutes...
For furnishings / entourage, this can be a useful method. But, for something that is to be actually built - the shell of a building for example - I don't think that the SU Sandbox tools are sufficient. Happy to be proven wrong though!

Sandbox tools are basically a Ruby script that let you manipulate a triangulated mesh. Re-forming that shape later on in response to engineering speicifics is beyond sandbox, I think? With MaxonForm, the swoopy form is deformed from control points/lines..which can correspond to your structural supports (e.g., steel framework) - and so the swoopy shape redefines itself as you reposition those elements.

(Naturally, in either SketchUp or MaxonFom...as with most object-making...you want to keep the original elements in that program for subsequent editing. Too easy in MaxonForm to forget to save in c4d format before sending the result back to ArchiCAD...)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
stefan
Expert
Karl wrote:
Joeri wrote:
For furnishings / entourage, this can be a useful method. But, for something that is to be actually built - the shell of a building for example - I don't think that the SU Sandbox tools are sufficient. Happy to be proven wrong though!

Sandbox tools are basically a Ruby script that let you manipulate a triangulated mesh. Re-forming that shape later on in response to engineering speicifics is beyond sandbox, I think? With MaxonForm, the swoopy form is deformed from control points/lines..which can correspond to your structural supports (e.g., steel framework) - and so the swoopy shape redefines itself as you reposition those elements.

(Naturally, in either SketchUp or MaxonFom...as with most object-making...you want to keep the original elements in that program for subsequent editing. Too easy in MaxonForm to forget to save in c4d format before sending the result back to ArchiCAD...)

Cheers,
Karl
You can reopen the GDL object created by MaxonForm again inside MaxonForm and the parametric objects are restored.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!