BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

How to make a Library object?

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are occasions while using archicad where an GSM object in the library just isn't quite right for what a product I wish to use.

This leads to the question, Can I make a variant or a new object to meet my needs?

Modelling and 2D drawing an object isn't too hard, nor is selecting these items and saving out as a GSM into the embedded library. The problem is that once you want to combine a 3d object with a 2D top, side , front view onto one object working out how seems needlessly obscure.

Tutorials online allow me to get into the Archicad GDL interface for a saved object and make some very minor changes or parameters.
But once you start trying to dig deeper into GSM you get on the path of complicated GDL scripting to make 2d shapes that I can draw in seconds.

So I ask am I off base with this approach?
For example take the standard parametric Archicad Tea Cup object.
Its a simple object, basic 2d, minimal parametric options etc.
Is there a walk through tutorial on how a designer can make this library part that could then be applied to a chair, basin or a tap?

Are these created in Archicad or another 3rd party tool? Is there a template system for inserting a 3d model with 2d views to quickly generate a custom object?

I apologize if this is a constant question but searching the forums did not provide similar queries.
I fear that there answer is that there is no editor and that you need to learn GDL coding.
Similar to telling somebody who wants to sketch that they first need to learn how to make paper.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Saving 3D elements as an object will automatically create the plan, front, side, section views so long as you view that object in plan, section or elevation views.
If you save 2D line work as an object, you will only see that in a plan view, or if separately placed in an elevation/section.
If you want 2D elevations and sections then you will need to create those objects separately and then place the object in the appropriate view.

Saving elements as an object will not create parametric objects - i.e. they will not be adjustable by parameters.

To have parametric objects or to have a single object that can produce various 2D views, you will need to learn GDL scripting.
It is not common to create an object that has various 2D views only - although it can be done.
Generally it would be a complete 3D script (the 2D plan script can be optional) that will give the correct image when viewed from any direction.

For learning GDL I found the GDL Cookbook by David Nicholson-Cole to be excellent.
It is a little old now but all of the basics and more are there.
It is a pretty steep learning curve though depending on how far you want to get.
I am still learning after nearly 20 years.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~lazwww/cookbook/

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
Barry Kelly
Saving 3D elements as an object will automatically create the plan, front, side, section views so long as you view that object in plan, section or elevation views.
If you save 2D line work as an object, you will only see that in a plan view, or if separately placed in an elevation/section.
If you want 2D elevations and sections then you will need to create those objects separately and then place the object in the appropriate view.

Saving elements as an object will not create parametric objects - i.e. they will not be adjustable by parameters.

To have parametric objects or to have a single object that can produce various 2D views, you will need to learn GDL scripting.
It is not common to create an object that has various 2D views only - although it can be done.
Generally it would be a complete 3D script (the 2D plan script can be optional) that will give the correct image when viewed from any direction.

For learning GDL I found the GDL Cookbook by David Nicholson-Cole to be excellent.
It is a little old now but all of the basics and more are there.
It is a pretty steep learning curve though depending on how far you want to get.
I am still learning after nearly 20 years.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~lazwww/cookbook/

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
You could go follow Graphisoft's object creation tutorial.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/videos/videos-archived/archicad-building-object-creation-training-...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!