BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to model beam insulation?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
I have beams coming from struct and I want to model the insulation (double gypsum) around the beams. If I use walls AC interprets the bottom part as a wall 220*30 instead of the correct 30*220 and thus show up in the schedule as 220 wide walls. Any ideas how to model or which tool? We're modeling for VICO so we need an accurate model.
Cheers,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Mats,
if you use walls for this purpose, it is normal to see thicknes=220mm and height=30mm in the schedule. Use the SLABS instead for the bottom element;
and WALLS for the side ones!
Erika Epstein
Booster
Or you could do a custom profile
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
I went with slabs with a dedicated ID explaining the purpose. It's interesting with modelling for VICO that the smaller details get significant.
I don't know how a complex profile would work regarding quantities. IRL this insulation consists of 3 parts of gypsum.

Thanks guys!

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my opinion the external insulation for, lets say, the beams, should be considered as one item in the quantity takeoff extraction in VICO.

As far as I know in VICO you can have a custom selection of the surfaces that will be calculated with the relevant quantity so it doesn't matter what kind of wall you will use.

In VICO you are ableto create a custom takeoff quantity, for example BEAM EPS SURFACE, and then paint the surfaces that you want VICO to calculate as EPS surface. It doesn't matter what coordination the walls will have. Think only the surfaces.

If you use slabs then you will have two different takeoff items for the same material and it will make things more complicated.
Learn and get certified!