BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to model combination of pitched roof and flat roof

Daniel_He
Booster

I want to model the flat glassroof in rectangle area and the pitched roof in the rest area as showed in the below pictures. After trying some methods but failed, so I'm seeking help here to find solutions.

Snipaste_2021-11-21_21-15-02.pngSnipaste_2021-11-21_21-15-49.png

Daniel.He

ArchiCAD 25 3011 USA - Windows 11 Home 64x
DESKTOP 12600KF 64G RAM 3070 GPU
6 REPLIES 6

You just need to draw a single plane roof. 

With this methods, there are 2 issues, the 1st is pitched roof edges attached to rectangle part are not correct, the second is the part of pitched roof inside of rectangle can't be remove

Daniel.He

ArchiCAD 25 3011 USA - Windows 11 Home 64x
DESKTOP 12600KF 64G RAM 3070 GPU

I only use single plane roofs, you can convert the roof you have and cut a hole just like slabs, you can also modify the roof edges to be what ever angle you need.

The two methods to do this are either (the one already mentioned) which is to convert that compound roof into separate single plane roofs (right click -> convert to single plane roofs) and then just subtract the affected area from each affected individual roof like you would a slab.

Method # 2 is to use SEO booleans and subtract the area using a hidden boolean slab or object to create that void.

The obvious problem with this method is that Boolean SEO operations don't show the correct result in plan view (unless your Boolean-ing Moprhs.) - which is a problem that Graphisoft have been really lazy to fix or correct ever since SEO's were introduced over 10 versions ago.

Theoretically the "Hole" tool might also work, but I don't use that tool too often myself, and have yet to gage how effective it would be in subtracting rood volumes and masses.

Perhaps someone else can comment on the viability of this method.

I would personally go with the first method, which, even though it explodes the roof (but you can still keep the individual roofs grouped together), sill leaves you with correct roof objects behaving as roofs and showing correctly in plan.

There is no need to convert a multi-plane roof to single planes to cut or form a hole.

Use the pet palette option on the multi-plane roof to cut a hole of any shape.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!