Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to model road edging

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Could anyone tell me how to add a kerb profile to the roads in the attached screen grab please? Currently tried modelling them as stacked morphs/roofs/meshes trying to attach railing profiles etc etc. Obviously I'm not doing it right. It's driving me round the bend.

The roads all have a standard 1:80 fall (25mm a meter.)

I would like to end up with a composite road and haunched kerbstone edge (ideally,) to be able to cut a section through for detailed documentation.

Any help would be much appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Podolsky
Ace
As there is no specific tool for kerb stone in ArchiCAD, there is no recommended way of doing it. I've found that easiest way to do
Podolsky
Ace
(sorry, accidentally pressed publish)
...best tool to do it seems beam. You can have custom profile, you can slope it and you can quantify it. It also quite good behave in 3D space while modelling.
hi,

I share your pain.

It seems that the understanding of architecture ends with the exterior of the facade for Graphisoft, looking at the tools and features available in Archicad 😉

We are missing speciifc tools for roads, parking areas, green areas, walkways etc. in combination with existing and planned slopes and surfaces, flexible radiuses, surface water drainages, road markings etc.

BR, F
AC24 4018 INT, Win10, Quadro P2000, Xeon, BIMCloud
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky,

Thanks for the reply. I will try messing about with the beam tool and a custom profile a little more to to see if that works. Not sure this approach will be a solution as one of the road elements has multiple gradients?
I was thinking maybe spending a few £ on Cadimage Objective to get the job done.....?

Florian,

Thanks for the reply. Agreed. Graphisoft need to sort a tool/s for basic road construction or start making it more easy to extrude roads in AC25/26 and soon. AC's lack of support for what is obviously such a fundamental part of building is no joke. Graphisoft I hope you are listening!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Running with Florian's comments I can only reiterate. It seems bizarre and quite frankly sub-standard that Graphisoft are focused and on-it when it comes to structural and MEP communication but the tools to work with even the most basic Civil Engineering requirements have been absent for decades.

If anyone has any pointers on working with other CAD software to bring in all the standard vehicular/pedestrian roads and surface drainage every building (in reality,) needs I would be most grateful.

Every time we get a complex drainage and road layout from our Engineers my heart and head sink as I realise there's literally nothing in Archicad that can model it. As a design and build contractor we are reduced to simple 2D line work. Especially when the requirement for detailing SUDS (sustainable urban drainage,) is becoming ever more demanding. That's extremely frustrating and not right in 2021.
Nuge
Advocate
I use the railing tool with a custom profile, then you can edit the height of each point to match up with your roadway. (its much better than the Cadimage objective tool)
AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render