BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to paste a photo copied from internet into a .pln file

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to copy manufacturers photographs from the internet to my plan file so that they can be printed from plt or pdf. I want to have the photographs on my plans. recessed light fixtures, bathroom exhaust fans,
etc.

Does anyone know how to go about doing this?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Save the images to your computer (I put mine in a folder relevant to the particular project) and use either the Drawing tool or Picture tool to place them on your layout.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't use layouts, I do all my drawings in archicad .pln file.
Don't know about the drawing tool will look for it. Can they be jpg or do they need to be a bitmap image or some other image file?

s2art wrote:
Save the images to your computer (I put mine in a folder relevant to the particular project) and use either the Drawing tool or Picture tool to place them on your layout.
Barry Kelly
Jonathan wrote:
Don't know about the drawing tool will look for it. Can they be jpg or do they need to be a bitmap image or some other image file?
Have a look at this article.

http://www.archicadwiki.com/DifferenceBetweenDrawingAndFigureTools?highlight=%28CategoryDrawing%29
Jonathan wrote:
I'm shaking my head right now!
I have no idea what type of work you do but I am guessing that you really are making life tough for yourself.
Layouts (as the name suggests) allows you to lay out your work on the page size that you desire in an arangement that suits you.
There can be multiple drawings on a layout, drawings can be different scales all on the same page and they can remain linked live with the model - make any changes and the layouts will update automatically.

How do you now place two or more elevations on a printed page? - or is this not something you do.
How do you know the extents of you prntable page size at various scales?

As I say I have no idea of the type of work you do and layouts may not be important to you - if that is so then all is good.
I have seen documentation done directly from Archicad without using layouts and it really isn't the most efficient way.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very good expalanation, Barry!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you,

The picture tool worked perfectly, very intuitive and easy.
I was able to insert the photos of a Panasonic and a Braun exhaust fan into my mechanical plan exhaust fan schedule. I will be doing the same thing on my electrical plan symbols for certain light fixtures. I usually send
plt files to the printer when I need drawing sets for the building permit, I hope it comes out okay. Does anyone know if this will work? I'm a bit worried that it will print (PLOT) as a black square?
If it does work and give me a nice greytone photo on my plans it will be an
amazing addition to the drawings.

Without going into a lot of detail, I paste up my elevations into my elevation sheet which has a border that prints @ 1/4" per ft.
My site plan has the same border only twice as large so it prints @ 1/8"
etc. The generated sections and elevations always need work anyway so
if something major changes I just copy and paste as needed

Barry wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Have a look at this article.

http://www.archicadwiki.com/DifferenceBetweenDrawingAndFigureTools?highlight=%28CategoryDrawing%29
Jonathan wrote:
I'm shaking my head right now!
I have no idea what type of work you do but I am guessing that you really are making life tough for yourself.
Layouts (as the name suggests) allows you to lay out your work on the page size that you desire in an arangement that suits you.
There can be multiple drawings on a layout, drawings can be different scales all on the same page and they can remain linked live with the model - make any changes and the layouts will update automatically.

How do you now place two or more elevations on a printed page? - or is this not something you do.
How do you know the extents of you prntable page size at various scales?

As I say I have no idea of the type of work you do and layouts may not be important to you - if that is so then all is good.
I have seen documentation done directly from Archicad without using layouts and it really isn't the most efficient way.

Barry.

Thank you, the picture tool is what I was looking for, very intuitive and easy.
Barry Kelly
Jonathan wrote:
Without going into a lot of detail, I paste up my elevations into my elevation sheet which has a border that prints @ 1/4" per ft.
My site plan has the same border only twice as large so it prints @ 1/8"
etc. The generated sections and elevations always need work anyway so
if something major changes I just copy and paste as needed
I thought this would be the case.
I don't want to preach about the way you should do it but just be aware that creating views of your elevation and placing those on a layout page as "drawings" will allow you to lay out all the elevations on one page and they will update as you modify your model.

If you model properly in 3D (many people use the phrase "model it as it's built") then there should be no (or very little) need to add any 2D details to your elevations (large scale detailing is another matter).
You really should be adding just some annotation to your elevations - all the linework should be coming from the model.

If you are not familiar with the use of layout pages and publishing then it would pay to do a little research.
Or better still have someone show you.
Is there a local user group where you can pick there brains?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Bill
Contributor
If I am going to be placing say, 100 or so images into the file, which method should I choose if I am most concerned with not bogging the computer/file down?

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
100+ images, bad idea; 50+ images, still a bad idea.
Instead, create a spec book or vendor data brochure with PS or Adobe.
AC is extremely efficient with 3D objects (vectorial), not so much with 2D images (raster).
Learn and get certified!