Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How to "splay" on the exterior sill of a window?

rob2218
Enthusiast
So..the architect has a request.
Make "some" windows to be splayed outward at the sill ONLY.
I noticed that there are window reveals that if placed in a "solid wall" you can splay the edges but they don't seem to be able to ONLY splay the bottom outwards. I've tried all manners of wall closure types, window edge types but can't seem to get the effect as shown on the sketch.
Please...can someone assist?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
Unless you want to get into a bit of GDL scripting then I think I would just add a slab with a splayed side and use SEO (hide the slab in a hidden layer).

In fact if you have the correct Building material strengths (i.e. slab stronger than the wall) you won't even need the SEO.

Barry.
splay_sill.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
UGH...was hoping there was a better solution....I hate those "invisdible objects" that are always "floating" in space to make other objects read properly......they always seem to get in the way and appear when you least expect them.

Not only that but you always have to either chase them down or make sure they are always "grouped" together with the wall/roof/object they are subtracting from........I say again...UGH.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Is there another cleaner way?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
The cleanest way is to script with GDL.
I don't use the standard Graphisoft doors and windows but I just tried one and it seems to do what you want already.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
rob2218
Enthusiast
so...Barry, for some reason mine is not behaving like yours does.
I'm using AC20....and it's giving me a strange tapper but to the inside which doesn't look at all right.
what windows are you using?
from what add on?
maybe thats why you are able to do what you can do cause it's not an Archicad Library window object...

i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
rob2218 wrote:
so...Barry, for some reason mine is not behaving like yours does.
Actually it is - I just didn't realise the screenshot I made was the inside of the window.
I just assumed the reveal would be on the same side as the 'reveal offset' when you place the window.
It seems this reveal is actually an internal reveal (I don't use these windows so this is all rather new to me).

All I can suggest is to use the same window but place with the reveal offset (sun symbol when placing) on the inside and then "Flip" the widow so the frame is facing the correct way.
This won't flip the reveal side - just the frame.

Barry.
splay_sill_4.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27