Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

How to set "Bold Cut Lines" for printing ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello !
Any chance to set Bold Cut Lines for printing ? I found True Line Weights very complicated for customization, bold cut lines is the preset I would like to print, how can I do that ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am glad it helped.

kosta wrote:
Why custom closure option don't have WALL CLOSURE tab inside "floor plan and section" dropdown?
Perhaps because Custom Closure uses just the Wall Skins pens and fills.

kosta wrote:
Thing is custom closure lefts that bold stick in wall too, but with custom closure you can't access to that tab and change pen, that is interesting ...
Yes. Windows/Doors Wall Closure and Reveal sometimes can be very enigmatic. That's why I suggest you to create your favorites and forget about it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Kosta,
Bold Cut Lines are just a simplification for visualization. The bold cut line weight can't be defined by the user. It is an AC internal ratio related with the zoom. Not for printing. Printing uses the Pen Set line weight defined for the view or in alternative can be override by the "Hair Line" print setting option, which puts all line weights as minimum as possible for your printer.
Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The way "Bold Cut Lines" represents line weights is exactly the thing needed for printing , e.g everything cut plane touches are bold , other lines are not bold, this is done in one click with "Bold Cut Lines" and it is not for printing... some kind of mockery with that thing, as it would simplify whole printing preparation process having menu with "Cut line color and weight" and "not cut line color and weight" for walls, door windows and other essential objects,additionally with ability to customize manually everything like it already has.

"Hair Line" would set a Hair Line for entire drawing.
Barry Kelly
All elements have cut/uncut pen colours which is what you will see in sections.
Element using composites will have the cut pen set in the composite settings.

I find it best to work in Archicad with the 'true line weight turned' off - so you will see everything as hairline (it is easier to work with this).
If you want, turn the 'bold cut lines' on if you want to emphasise what is cut in section (usually you will see cut fills anyway).

Both of these are on-screen options only and will not affect printing.

When you print, you should not have the 'hairline' option on (unless you really want to).
That way your prints will print with the correct line thickness.
And if you have your cut and uncut pens set up properly, you should get the prints you want.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for help! But I still have to go deeper in that issue.
I'm seeing two issues with "true line weights". First issue is that bold stick penetrating wall on the right and left side of the door, can't get rid of it , can you please help me with that ? I can't find a way to attach scene file
here unfortunately.

One other moment are those windows and doors, they are same line weights as you can see, how can I set them so to make only cut lines bold and bottom is thin. See at second image window bottom lines are not bold, only those are thick which frames are cut, and also the door frame is bold but arc is not.

That's what I was referring when mentioned "bold cut lines" simplicity. Now I have to set them line by line and object by object...
Anonymous
Not applicable
kosta wrote:
First issue is that bold stick penetrating wall on the right and left side of the door, can't get rid of it...
Check your contour pen for your wall closure on your Door settings.

kosta wrote:
One other moment are those windows and doors, they are same line weights as you can see, how can I set them so to make only cut lines bold and bottom is thin.
The lines you are referring, are the wall contour lines, that are also set on your window settings.

Then after you define the correct line weights for your door and window, save them as Favorites. So the next time you have to use them the work is already done.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
kosta wrote:
First issue is that bold stick penetrating wall on the right and left side of the door, can't get rid of it...
Check your contour pen for your wall closure on your Door settings.

Screen01.jpg

kosta wrote:
One other moment are those windows and doors, they are same line weights as you can see, how can I set them so to make only cut lines bold and bottom is thin.
The lines you are referring, are the wall contour lines, that are also set on your window settings.

Screen01.jpg

Then after you define the correct line weights for your door and window, save them as Favorites. So the next time you have to use them the work is already done.
Braza I'm sorry when I said yesterday that it is ok, I was counting that I will find that WALL CLOSURE tab and Contour Pen properties. In your case it sits between Override MVO and MASONRY ARCH, but I'm not able to spot that menu at all. Your screenshot:

My Screenshot:
Anonymous
Not applicable
kosta wrote:
Braza I'm sorry when I said yesterday that it is ok, I was counting that I will find that WALL CLOSURE tab and Contour Pen properties. In your case it sits between Override MVO and MASONRY ARCH, but I'm not able to spot that menu at all. Your screenshot:
No problem.
The reason this drop down is available is because I used an insulation strip with the "Traditional Cavity Closure" in the Window Cavity Closure Option. If you don't need it uncheck it, and the line will disappear.
Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
kosta wrote:
No problem.
The reason this drop down is available is because I used an insulation strip with the "Traditional Cavity Closure" in the Window Cavity Closure Option. If you don't need it uncheck it, and the line will disappear.
Hope this helps.
Thanks and that's right, with traditional closure I can see WALL CLOSURE tab and I can disable strip at all.
Why custom closure option don't have WALL CLOSURE tab inside "floor plan and section" dropdown? Thing is custom closure lefts that bold stick in wall too, but with custom closure you can't access to that tab and change pen, that is interesting ...