BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

How to teach ArchiCAD in 2h30 ?

stefan
Expert
I'm trying to insert an ArchiCAD introduction class into our regular AutoCAD-based CAD-courses.

I think I can cram 2h30 into the regular schedule, if I insist hard enough.

Can anyone point me to some hints on what to do in this short amount of time? Is there some list of things to see to get the global concept?

I'm thinking in terms of:
  • * Drawing a very simple building, including text & dimensions.
  • * Making sections & Elevations. And add some dimensions.
  • * Rendering it out.
  • * Export to Plotmaker and prepare a simple A4-printsheet.
  • * Adjust the model and update.
It's not intended to be a demo. I want the students to actually use the program. Oh, we have 8.0 installed and no word on a class-upgrade yet. I think 8.0 would work as an introduction.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
S.
I have done 15 min presentations of AC and though it takes a little planning to make sure you don't waste time thinking about what to do next, this is my basic task list:
1) start with the slab settings (explain what they are and that in AC you place objects, you don't draw them) draw a rectangular slab.
2) edit slab (make a "L" shape) make one segment a curve
3) Magic Wand walls around slab (switch to 3D window to show and spin the model)
4) Put some windows and doors on the walls - show 3D and edit position to show that it affects the floor plan
5) Create a second story copy and paste walls and slabs of first floor
6) Place an elevation marker (usually on the elev that shows a door on a wall). Open the elev point out the mistake of a door opening to the outside on the second floor, show it on 3D, erase the door in the elevation, show that the model is updated on plan and 3D.
7) Create another elevation open it duplicate more windows on a wall (show the updates)
8)switch to first floor place a stair, do a marquee around it, show in 3D window the problem of the slab on the second floor needing a hole. Switch to the second floor, turn on ghost story (explain) and do the hole on the slab, show with marquee on 3D.
9) Create a roof story, create a roof, switch to 3D window show that walls on second floor do not intersect with roof. Switch to 2D place a section, open it and show that the walls do not intersect, go back to 2d do a trim to roof of the walls, show the changes in the section and 3D view.
10) Go to first floor, do an automatic dimension of the floor plan, clean some of the dims then show that changes in position of the elements change the dimensions.
11) Place a detail drawing of the stair or other element, explain what it is for.
12) Create a view set, drop all the drawings in it. Open PM insert the views. Show that PM keeps track of the placement of the elevations and details. Make a change in AC, save and Update in PM.
11) If you feel it is needed, publish the set to AutoCAD and/or PDF and open the dwgs to show the compatability.
12) Don't forget that somewhere along the presentation you will show them a basic render, and remember to use the sketch rendering option.

The things to make sure is to place emphasis that in AC you BUILD your design, thus the difference to AutoCad is that you don't draw it. Also explain that for the objects you choose their particular options of how you want them to be (copying of attributes from one object to another). Also before placing an object give an overview of what the tool does. Keep the model simple so that the delays of renderings and turning shadows on in the sections do not take too much time.

Last time I did this demo at the school I got 60 students lined up for the class (which only handles 15).

Hope this helps
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

stefan
Expert
Thanks a lot for the quick (but to the point) overview.
It'll make a good scheme of things to talk about...

15 minutes? Well, that could be the perfect introduction 😉

And then the rest of the lesson repeating it with the students following.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Dwight
Newcomer
Think of what makes ArchiCAD excite you, and share it.

Building a design, then editing!!!

You are really doing a thorough sales demo in 2 1/2 hours....

and that pitch, to students, is about interactivity and visualization.
Dwight Atkinson
Eduardo Rolon
I agree with Dwight's concept. A year ago I did a demo to the local A.I.A. group and what blew all the architects away was not any one tool from AC but when I showed them how to create a window and door schedule + PM's ability to keep track of sections, elevations and details.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!