BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to trim/split multiple walls/lines?

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is one thing that I find an annoyance when using Archicad. During the creation of my building there were times when it became necessary to "trim" or "split" walls. The operations is simple to use but has a flaw in its operation. In my case I had to TRIM many walls one after another but it became tedious when I had to click on the Trim button each and every time. It would have been much better if I could have click on the TRIM button once and then continue to trim each wall without having to click on the button each time. Cancelling the function could easily be done by right clicking and selecting cancel in the popup window. The could also be done for the "Split" command.

Regards,
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hold down shift, and you will see the cursor change to a little pair of scissors. Now can now trim as many walls as you like by individually clicking on the side you want removed! Look at 'Trimming Elements to Intersection Points' in the help files for more info.

A really useful function that I miss from AutoCAD is a fence (polyline) setting for trimming multiple objects in one go.

At the moment as you rightly say, you can only trim elements one at a time. In certain circumstances drawing a multi-segmented line across several elements to be trimmed at once is much faster. They wouldn't necessarily even have to be in a straight line.

The Split tool almost works like this but you can only do a single straight segment in one go.
Barry Kelly
Peter wrote:
Hold down shift, and you will see the cursor change to a little pair of scissors.
It is actually the CTRL key - for Windows users.
Command key for Mac?

Peter wrote:
At the moment as you rightly say, you can only trim elements one at a time. In certain circumstances drawing a multi-segmented line across several elements to be trimmed at once is much faster. They wouldn't necessarily even have to be in a straight line.
Not if you have the tool active for what you are editing.
i.e. if you have 6 walls to trim to another wall or slab edge, line, curve or whatever then select those walls and have the wall tool active.
Now CTRL click on the edge you want to trim to and there you go.
It doesn't have to be a straight line - can be curved.
Doesn't work to polygon type elements so well as they will all trim to the edge you CTRL click and not the entire polygon perimeter.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
You are absolutely right Barry. Thanks for the correction on both points. One was a mis-type and one was a mis-remembering!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Next to each other on the Standard toolbar you have the Trim (scissors), Split (axe) and Adjust (arrow extending lines) buttons. The Adjust button can be handy for trimming multiple elements at one time, but as Barry pointed out only to a single edge at a time, not a polygon. Note too that the shorter segment of the element will usually be removed (although as seen in my AC16 example below the longer length of the right hand line was trimmed - not the case if it had been the only line selected for "adjusting" to the circle)
Screen shot 2013-11-14 at 5.01.09 PM.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the responses and I tried them and they work. The only thing that I don't like about the solution is that I have to use the keyboard and hold a key down to do the operation. I personally keep my eyes on the screen and having to look down at the keyboard seems a distraction. I still think having the Trim and Split commands as "sticky" buttons (click once and the function is on, click again and the function is off (or could use right click/cancel). Nothing to take my attention away from the screen or have to use my left hand.

Regards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That would be useful but once u get use to it, it almost becomes second nature to hit the 'Ctrl' - Trim and 'Alt' - Droper and 'Ctrl + Alt' - Inject while working.

Also most people who use the computer often know where each key is without having to look, I am sure once u get use to it, it will also become second nature to you too

I know in AutoCAD there was just 'Ctrl + T' and then 'A' an u could trim everything an anything, but that was needed as everything was really 2D.

Also add a signature to your profile with the Version u using so it will help ppl better give an answer to the version you are using.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Peter wrote:
Hold down shift, and you will see the cursor change to a little pair of scissors.
It is actually the CTRL key - for Windows users.
Command key for Mac?

Peter wrote:
Not if you have the tool active for what you are editing.
i.e. if you have 6 walls to trim to another wall or slab edge, line, curve or whatever then select those walls and have the wall tool active.
Now CTRL click on the edge you want to trim to and there you go.
It doesn't have to be a straight line - can be curved.
Doesn't work to polygon type elements so well as they will all trim to the edge you CTRL click and not the entire polygon perimeter.

Barry.

Hi Barry, this doesnt seem to work for curtain walls which is what i need help with. my curtain wall is on a slope and has an wall intersecting that needs trimming. any ideas how to do this? Thanks.
Barry Kelly
Lexi wrote:
Hi Barry, this doesnt seem to work for curtain walls which is what i need help with. my curtain wall is on a slope and has an wall intersecting that needs trimming. any ideas how to do this? Thanks.
This is only for trimming/extending the length of wall (or lines) to a reference edge.
It won't trim a wall to a sloping curtain wall which is what you want.
Let's keep that conversation in your other post (in which I now see you are happy with the answer there).

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=62825

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Are you saying that multi trim is possible?
If possible, may I ask for an explanation that a beginner can understand?

LeeJaeYoung_0-1666058161749.png

AC27 on window 11
Learn and get certified!