Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to turn off elements in floor plan?

cadsph
Enthusiast

HI,

How do you turn off elements in a floor plan? 

I have a lower roof which I can't see the vertical side edges due to higher roofs. (please see attached).

Screenshot 2022-08-06 181144.jpg
6 REPLIES 6
Djordje
Ace

1. why would you see the edges of the lower roof in this view?

2. if you have two roof levels, it is smart to have a storey for each of the roof levels (e.g. Lower Roof, Higher roof...), so that you can create correct views for the documentation

3. It is also smart to have a Top Roof storey at the highest ridge level, to handle various plans that can be generated by showing stories below...
you need to read up on stories and storey represtantation 🙂

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

I realise that I can create another level, because the model is basic one could probably get away with it. But if the model has multiple buildings you want to limit the number of levels created. 

I'm a Revit user - Revit makes it easier to  hide elements.

But is there a way to hide elements in 2D views? I'm just asking - I think it's important.

Screenshot 2022-08-06 183811.jpg
Andrii Levko
Expert

It depends what you need to show.

Select your roof what you want to get on top, and use shortcut Ctrl+7, or with selected roof left click of mouse and select Display Order.

If you want to see plan under big roof, you should use Floor Plan Cut Plane

https://help.Graphisoft.com/AC/25/INT/_AC25_Help/050_ViewsVB/050_ViewsVB-11.htm

Or maybe you should have different  stories for each roofs if it's need for your project.

Andrii
AC 8.1 - 27 INT/POL 3001
Win11 | Ryzen 5600 | 16 GB | GTX 1650
cadsph
Enthusiast

Thank-you, Djordje & Andrii for your reply. 

Never expect one software to work the same way as another. 

A model should always contain one building, and then you link these into a master model with multiple buildings using modules or saving individual buildings as objects.

you show or hide stuff by layer management (yes, I know - no layers in Revit…) and by managing what shows on stories that it does not belong to. Archicad is quite powewrful here… renovation filters for existing/demolition/new, layer management, show one storey up down etc… view management, where you can set how low or high you want to see… etc… many options. In short, do not think single objects, think groups and categories… layers are not so obsolete concept as many think, although they do originate from the old CAD sofwares, they do mimic the old tracing paper techniques… and that means something only for the dinosaurs like me that have done projects by hand

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

Personally, the idea of having the ability to hide individual objects for every very view without layers (like in revit) boggles my mind so much that it literally makes me sick. A good layer system, but more importantly, the discipline of having every object in its proper layer, is much more powerful.