BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to view zones + slabs as separate entities in 3D window?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone
When two zones (or slabs) are modelled on the same layer with the same materiality so as to be touching one another, they will appear as one element when viewed in the 3D window. My question is can such elements be shown with line work that distinguishes them from one another in the 3D window. I was under the impression that setting layer priority to zero will achieve this but it did not.
Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Marc H
Advisor
First, a question: Are you using the Zone tool (as opposed to the Slab tool)? Zones are their own object set.
Second, you will want your zones on their own layer/s; not combined with other building items.

In any case, zone objects can be set with a building material. I use colored glass, with each color roughly corresponding to a Zone Category color. Notably, glass normally has a low priority, but if it is not low enough, you could duplicate the glass material, call it 'zone material' and set a lower priority.) The zones will show up in the 3D model view. Be sure you have your Zones layer/s on.

... In reading your post again, you may have a different question not specific to Zones; that of differentiating two elements of the same type occupying spatially adjacent space but of the same properties?

In most cases, we want Slabs with the same properties adjacent to each other to appear monolithic. What is your purpose to making the differentiation? For example, to show finish changes, you could change the building material or surfaces to differentiate them. Or if for joints, you can add a material that would separate them in the field (e.g., felt between slabs at construction joints), etc. If for data purposes, perhaps a Graphical Override based on a differentiated parameter within each object.
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
Learn and get certified!