BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

How would one create this window?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I would like to create this window albeit in one window. This is currently 3 windows grouped together. I managed to create the window all in one piece but with the transom being lower than the slider as it would be a height hazard.

Please see the attached image for what is required:

Please see the attached image for what I have gotten so far:

Any ideas on how to tackle this? As the entire windows is required to be in one piece for the windows schedule and etc.

Kind Regards,
Tarkh
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Peter Baksa
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi,

Double Window / Double Sash Window has an option for a lower sash:
Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Not sure how that would be done with the standard windows but it is easy with our Infinite Openings tool for Archicad https://cadswift.com.au/products/Infinite-Openings.html

There is a video on how to do it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNuNpAwHqfY
Creator of Cadswift's parametric GDL libraries
Creator of Infinite Openings and Component Catalogues
Push the envelope & watch it bend
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CADSwift/playlists
furtonb
Advisor
Another solution could be a combination of a curtain wall + empty opening. Or you could draw it on a floor plan and save a custom window - or script it from scratch in GDL. These solutions would probably require cleaning up the 2D symbol too. I would choose depending on the project phase and required level of detail, if the house won't be subject to much change, then would I choose any of these - otherwise Kristian's solution could be faster and cheaper.

@Kristian That Infinite Openings tool looks interesting! Is there a way to easily assign custom window profiles for each frame with it?
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
@Kristian That Infinite Openings tool looks interesting! Is there a way to easily assign custom window profiles for each frame with it?
Yes the frame profiles are editable polygons which you can then store in the tools internal catalogue to apply at will. I will post in the advertising section for any more questions to avoid hijacking this thread.
Creator of Cadswift's parametric GDL libraries
Creator of Infinite Openings and Component Catalogues
Push the envelope & watch it bend
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CADSwift/playlists
Anonymous
Not applicable
furtonb wrote:
Another solution could be a combination of a curtain wall + empty opening. Or you could draw it on a floor plan and save a custom window - or script it from scratch in GDL. These solutions would probably require cleaning up the 2D symbol too. I would choose depending on the project phase and required level of detail, if the house won't be subject to much change, then would I choose any of these - otherwise Kristian's solution could be faster and cheaper.

This worked well! Got it perfectly. Took some time. But all is well.

However, the new curtain wall which I reclassified as a window, is not visible in the windows schedule, please see attached.

Thanks in advance!
Tarkh
furtonb
Advisor
I think curtain walls can only be shown in 3D axonometry, and its sub-elements have orthogonal views.

Well, others might get a heart attack, but to be honest, we don't really use these views in our schedule:
what we tend to do is have the specifications in the schedule as you show, but the drawings are a separate drawing either from the model directly, but mostly a cleaned line drawing in the construction documentation phase from a worksheet - it's a lot faster in my opinion.

Reasons why I prefer modelling windows separately: I try to always mimic real construction sequencing, which means the window structure goes in as a separate element. Curtain walls are more flexible to model detailed (or custom) assemblies, but they have some problems:
- in my country the nominal size is required to be put on the schedule, which is the opening bounding box size, the assembly itself is smaller, the difference is determined by the standard that you are using
- you need to have multiple elements for the "same" construction, documentation is harder to manage (custom properties and the ID manager comes in handy to filter elements)
- it's purpose mainly is to model curtain walls, which means modelling a normal window is more tedious (you will have a hard time to manage panel offsets for a proper model

To summarize:
Modelling doors and windows properly is hard, if you need a detailed graphical output (the level of granularity that you would get from a manual 2D schedule). The generalised strategy that I follow is to create the opening (could be a custom GDL object) and put a separate object (Curtain wall, Morph, Object, a separate Wall with a Window inside...) in it, as Windows/Doors are wall-bound. I attach the properties to the opening itself, as it needs to be one entity (this is why you would need a custom object for funkier shapes), the assembly could be multiple objects as well: for historical renovations I also modelled windows from profiled beams, columns, saved it as a .mod file and populated the model with them. I also think that scripting your opening with a custom 2D symbol + modelling the window in Rhino and importing it as an object could be a usable workflow.

What I'm trying to say: you have dozens of options to do the "same thing", explore and choose according to your needs and project scale. These are the reasons why I said Kristian's solution might be faster for you, it seems to provide (I haven't purchased yet) the flexibility that the GS objects lack while being an integrated, one-step solution.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Barry Kelly
TArkh wrote:
However, the new curtain wall which I reclassified as a window, is not visible in the windows schedule, please see attached.

That is because it is not really a window.

You can create you own custom window from slabs (in as much detail as you need) and then save them as a window object.
This will schedule as you require it to, but it will not be parametric like other windows.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25564/

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much!

I will give this a try
Solution
Peter Baksa