Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you model the steel fram in attach with AC23?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
I'm working with our template for AC23 and I'm testing the do's and dont's with the new beam and column tools. I figured I'd go for a realistic example such as the steel frame in the attachment. I can create a parametric profile and use it for both the column part and the beam part but the intersection angle is kind of tricky. Would you use column+beam or do it the old school way with objects or intricate complex profiles?
/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
4 REPLIES 4
DGSketcher
Legend
In AC23 the tapers shouldn't be a problem but the end cap could be an issue. As a suggestion without having AC available you could consider forming the angled cut & plate with a roof slab. I would be interested to know if the end plates could be done with a column segment.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
runxel
Legend
If you do it with two beams (one beam always must have a continous reference line) it is possible.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The attached ZIP file contains the PLA file in which I modeled this scenario using a Segmented Column and a Segmented Beam.
The image shows how the geometry was segmented and the widths and height of segments calculated.
In case of the Column you have to slice it into Segments wherever there is any change in the thickness of the Flanges or the Width. Segments are either Rectangular, or I-Profile with Parametric Modifiers, in which the thickness of two Flanges can be modified independently. All Segments are Tapered.
The Beam is similarly segmented. In case of the Beam, distances must be measured parallel and perpendicular to the inclined upper line of the Beam.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
LaszloNagy wrote:
The attached ZIP file contains the PLA file in which I modeled this scenario using a Segmented Column and a Segmented Beam.
The image shows how the geometry was segmented and the widths and height of segments calculated.
In case of the Column you have to slice it into Segments wherever there is any change in the thickness of the Flanges or the Width. Segments are either Rectangular, or I-Profile with Parametric Modifiers, in which the thickness of two Flanges can be modified independently. All Segments are Tapered.
The Beam is similarly segmented. In case of the Beam, distances must be measured parallel and perpendicular to the inclined upper line of the Beam.

Column-Beam.png

thank you for a great explanation Laszlo! I thought this would be the way...with one column and one beam since beams can't be vertical.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.