BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

I do not buy this

Anonymous
Not applicable
The more I use 8 for production the more a feel the need to ____ on it.
Why was it necessary to create a new “___ ass” finder, what was wrong with Apple’s.
I rather have all my details in different scales as generated by chance then fill up the manager sets with zillions to scale based detail views. And because there are many scales and a view is only one scale this leads to a sort of babylonia. What once was delegated to PM and finder now seems to belong in an AC view set.

OK, I completed a project now I go to the next and my details are not visible any longer as they were in the finder but are buried in a view set manager in a soon to be an obsolete version of AC.

After several 8.1 projects I reached the conclusion that GS fell in a trap trying to write some sort of database management. But the product is primitive and is a far cry from a simple Apple finder.

The problem was, I suspect that AC could not open simultaneous many files and fast and let me manage the parts in PM with the finder. I need to see al parts of a project. I need to be able to inset on PM a detail form somewhere after is was altered in AC, and then I need to be able to reuse it by taking it form this project WITHOUT OPENING THE PROJECT, just by dragging this element to anew project. GS rubbed me of this simple tool in a way taking from me one of the great simplicities of what the computer brought: drag and drop files, search for filed and info in the files, and soon to look in files without opening them.

I honestly do not believe that this will work I am convinced we are on a wrong path on ingenious smoking mirror environment.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Adalbert,

I do understand your reservations about keeping all the drawings in ArchiCAD. I was very slow to adopt the process at first myself, even though it works very well with my preferred work practices. BUT...

You don't have to link to the PLN, PLP, etc... You can still publish to PMKs as before (assuming you were using publisher in AC7). In fact, the process is dramatically improved in 8.1.

Take a closer look at Publisher. I think it will do everything you want and do it better than version 7.

BTW, an ingenious smoking mirror environment sounds interesting. Could be the hottest new nightclub in Manhattan, or a performance art installation, or both.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew

Needles to say I have adopted 100% 8.1 and I link and not publish.
But the issues I have raised are not the ones you addressed

I put it in a different way: the reusability of data and transparency was eliminated with the new methodology.
Anonymous
Not applicable
My point is that you can choose not to adopt the new methodology (by continuing to publish and import PMKs) and still have a better workflow than before, or adapt the new Publisher to suit your need for transparent reuse of drawings in the future (by publishing as modules, DWGs or PMKs only the drawings that you want to save for reuse).
Anonymous
Not applicable
My point is that you can choose not to adopt the new methodology (by continuing to publish and import PMKs) and still have a better workflow than before, or adapt the new Publisher to suit your need for transparent reuse of drawings in the future (by publishing as modules, DWGs or PMKs only the drawings that you want to save for reuse).

PowerBook Al17/G4/1GHz/1GB/64MBvram
AC8.1v1 build 1410/OSX.3
ThinkPad a20p/PIII/700/512MB/16MBvram
AC8.1v1/Win2

Here you are WRONG because one decides to reuse an aspect at a later date and then is late and impossible to find and information in an un-transparent system. The transparency of a computer it in its finder and Archicad does not have one and worst it choused to disregard Apple’s excellent finder.
Learn and get certified!