BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

If only... (Tips & Tricks)

DGSketcher
Legend
I thought it might help noobs & experienced users alike if there was a thread to share tips and tricks along the lines of "If only I had known this it could have saved me a lot of time!". It is not intended as a wish list or a debating ground for work arounds, simply somewhere to post tips and tricks others may find useful that perhaps aren't obvious or even documented.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
11 REPLIES 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Here's a starter I wish I had known about...

Renovation filter tool.
The renovation tool has three standard options for element status- existing demolition, and new. It has multiple filter options that can be set up in any number of ways- hide demo, show but override existing, show new (fully editable and rename-able).

To have multiple design and/or phase options with extra layers, create a Planned Filter option, duplicate it and rename it to Planned Filter Option 2 (or Phase 2), duplicate and rename as many as you want.

Back on the floor plan draw your first design option while the pin is pushed on the renovation filter option. If the pin is not pushed you can go back and pin design elements to the Planned Filter option of your choosing. When you switch to option 2, option 1 pinned elements will turn off. Any unpinned items will remain visible for all other options that are now affected by the different designs.

Originally posted by mkopecky in the v18 release thread.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Eduardo Rolon
Tips and Tricks are now part of Help Center. See for announcement and links

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=45971

Direct link to Help Center

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

DGSketcher
Legend
ejrolon wrote:
Tips and Tricks are now part of Help Center. See for announcement and links

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=45971

Direct link to Help Center

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/
If only I had known!
Karl Ottenstein
And, we have a user Tips and Tricks forum here... which is read-only: maintained by the moderators. Whenever one of the moderators sees something in a thread that is a Tip/Trick that might otherwise be missed and is worth sharing, a copy of it is moved there.

I confess, we have not been very alert in recent years about doing that, so your post here is a good reminder.

The "Best" Tips/Tricks (in GS eyes) will end up in the Help Center. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
DGSketcher
Legend
Karl wrote:
And, we have a user Tips and Tricks forum here... which is read-only: maintained by the moderators.
Not here to rock the boat but this all sound very controlling! This place used to be a lot more active, what happened? I still see a few familiar names but not the general chatter of the user masses?
Stress Co_
Advisor
Bring back the "Tip of the Month"
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Karl Ottenstein
DGSketcher wrote:
Karl wrote:
And, we have a user Tips and Tricks forum here... which is read-only: maintained by the moderators.
Not here to rock the boat but this all sound very controlling! This place used to be a lot more active, what happened? I still see a few familiar names but not the general chatter of the user masses?
The activity died, by my impression, during the global recession... The old experts have not come back, and we seem rather to have lots of questions from students and newbies who haven't searched the forums for existing answers (which are invariably there).

The Tips and Tricks forum is moderated to help assure that the tips posted there are made in the context of all of the features of the product. Too often, a newbie posts a 'tip' because they aren't aware of everything AC has to offer. So, moderator "control" keeps those kinds of tips out of the Tips and Tricks forum.

It's not controlling... it's quality control. 😉
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Stress wrote:
Bring back the "Tip of the Month"
Agree! Guaranteed an at-least-monthly learning / "aha!" moment... and it was always fun to see who won, and what "prize" Graphisoft sent to them. 🙂
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
As far as I can see the reason activity seems less is because of the rise of social media. Just consider the Facebook page of ArchiCAD which has over 200 000 likes, there are a lot of people going there and also posting their questions. The same is true for LinkedIn, many discussions there, so there are now more sites where people ask and answer AC-related questions.

Also it may be that only registered user traffic seems less. The reason I say this is because up until last November the most concurrent visitors on the site was around 250 visitors. Then last November there were 325 concurrent visitor at a given moment, a new record. So I think a lot of people ARE visiting ArchiCAD-Talk who are not registered users so you will not see any posts from them.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!