BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Import Parameters

Cosminn
Contributor
Hi Guys,
Is there a way to import parameters automatically from one object to other, instead of retype them one by one?

Thanks
Sincerely,
Daniel
9 REPLIES 9
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Use the syringe (CTRL + ALT or CMD + ALT) to select the other object. It will retain the similar parameters this way.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
Erwin wrote:
Use the syringe (CTRL + ALT or CMD + ALT) to select the other object. It will retain the similar parameters this way.
This will copy all of the values of parameters from one object to another with the same parameters.
It doesn't copy the parameters themselves if you are trying to script an object.

You are stuck creating them one by one unless you save an object that has the parameters you want with the 'Use as Subtype' button ticked (top of the scripting dialogue).
This will create a subtype that you can then use in other objects.
Add or delete parameters in the original object and all those using that subtype should automatically adjust.
You can set custom values in each object and hide those parameters you don't want to use.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
There is a way

Use the XML converter tool to convert both objects to XML. Then cut and paste the parameter sections in the xml, then convert the XML back to GDL.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Erich
Contributor
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a good explanation or tutorial for how to use the XLM converter?
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Hi Erich

I use applescript to convert the files - here is an example

do shell script "Applications/Graphisoft/ArchiCAD\\ 18/LP_XMLConverter.app/Contents/MacOS/LP_XMLConverter x2l /XMLHOLDING/ /Applications/MacLibDevKits/GDLPROCESSED/"
set alertResult to display alert "XML now converted to GDL"
note: x2l is the command to convert the xml to library part. l2x will convert GDL to xml.
It will work 'as is' if you place two folders directly in your hard drive - called 'XMLHOLDING' and 'GDLPROCESSED'
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Erich
Contributor
Ben,

So in your example you would place your XML files in the folder called XMLHOLDING then run the script and get the processed GDL files that would then be located in the folder GDLPROCESSED. Right?

Would the script going the other way GDL==>XML look like this?
do shell script "Applications/Graphisoft/ArchiCAD\\ 18/LP_XMLConverter.app/Contents/MacOS/LP_XMLConverter l2x /GDLHOLDING/ /Applications/MacLibDevKits/XMLPROCESSED/" 
set alertResult to display alert "GDL now converted to XML"
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
That should do the trick.
There is more information on the commands in the converter help file. I think its only available in one of the developer downloads.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Cosminn
Contributor
Thank you guys.
So sorry for late reply. I think my English level created a misunderstanding here.
If you follow this link you'll see what I mean. The answer is there.

http://gdl.graphisoft.com/tips-and-tricks/own-subtype/

Seems that Barry's reply meet my needs.

My question should sound like this:How to create your own subtype?

Anyway thank you so much, it seems that I can learn new things regarding the XML converter.

Again. Thank you,

Daniel
Sincerely,
Daniel
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Here are some guidelines, check the "Template" box to create a new subtype.

GDL master window
Learn and get certified!