BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Importing/Creating an object from a 3D DWG file

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't figure this out, and I have already followed the Graphisoft Help section.
I am trying to import this 3D dwg file of a lounge chair, but I just can't seem to do it.

http://www.zenithinteriors.com/au/downloads/file/products/530/3d-cad/3000%203D.zip

Any help would be appreciated. Like I said I have followed the Graphisoft help topic already but I just can't get it to work so maybe I am just doing one simple thing wrong with my settings... not sure.
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
robmeneses:

This is what worked here:
1. Open Object..., Open Library Part > Browse for a Folder, navigate to one of the .DWG files, select the file.
2. Set the Translator to 02 For editable import, click the Settings... button, and in the DXF-DWG Translation Setup > Settings > Open Options > 3D data in created Library Parts: GDL Script and check both Enable partial open and Convert 3D Solids, Regions and Bodies into GDL objects, click Save Settings & Close.
3. Click Open.
4. In the DWG/DFX Partial Open dialog box, all layers are visible, click OK.
5. The DWG file opens as a library part, check the 3D View, it should be visible.
6. Save As... the library part into a folder that is loaded via the Library Manager into the project that will use this library part.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's brilliant David - it worked.

Very much appreciated!!!
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rob:

Thanks for posting that worked (and for adding the signature). Additionally, once you have the Object, you can convert it to a Morph for editing (removing lines, etc.) then resave it as an Object.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey David, I just tried the whole "change object into morph" tip to amend specific details and it's brilliant!
That's exactly what I was looking for as I needed to make some 'surface' changes to the objects that I had downloaded.
Massive thanks for the extra tip.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rob:

Yes, I have found dwg type objects less than perfect, so this allows modification without GDL knowledge.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Learn and get certified!