BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Inconsistent shadows.

Barry Kelly
Has anyone noticed that shadows on elevations that have been placed on layouts are not the same as the shadows on the same elevation when opened in Archicad itself?

When the elevations shadow settings are set to "As in 3D window" the shadows appear correct on the elevations when viewed in Archicad.
But place those elevations on a layout page and the shadows will be different.

I thought I would be clever and set the shadows to "Custom" and then mimic the 3D shadow settings.
This worked for my West elevation in the attached image but not for others (as you will see in the next image).

The only way I can see to get an accurate shadow on a layout drawing is to create a 3D Document for each elevation and use those.
The shadows appear to be wrong on all elevations set "As in 3D window" and the direction they face seems to affect the level of inacuracy (as possibly does the time of day).

Has anyone else noticed this or am I missing some crutial setting somewhere?

Barry.

shadows_1.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Here is another elevation where setting to "Custom" shadows with the same values as the 3D window makes it even worse.
Barry.
shadows_2.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry
This may be no help at all but I remember a support call for AC14 where EAST/WEST elevations would some times produce incorrect shadows or no shadows at all. even the window Shading was wrong.
Only on the windows Platform I believe

Some times Archicad even distorted the coloured parts of the elevation or showed no colour.

The bug was lodged to test track but I left Graphisoft before being advised of a fix or work around.

Test if this still occurs with non coloured elevations or without Window Shading
if not I would think the bug remains. NOT

As I said its probably no help but may narrow down the issue
Barry Kelly
Thanks Knowhow.
I have tried all the settings I can think of including using the marked distance area as weel but still no difference.

I have also noticed that a pencil sketch render is made with a JPG image of the shaded render view in the background that also gets distorted when placed on a layout.
Opening the view in Archicad it is fine - just not when it is placed on a layout.

So obviously something is wrong when the images are being re-calculated for display on the layouts.

Barry.
cube.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can confirm that the issue persist today in AC17.
Learn and get certified!