Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Insanely slow layouts in Teamwork

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Over the last couple of weeks (maybe more)... the Layouts in my project have become insanely slow... Simply trying to PAN can lag in the area of 15sec... Trying to SELECT and move a drawing on the layout even more...

Even just trying to add a Text Label onto the layout is excruciating.

Are there any tips or avenues for me to pursue to diagnose this?

These are NOT updating problems... this is happening AFTER I've already waited 1 to 2 min for a sheet of sections to update...

I cannot determine if this is happening OUTSIDE of TEAMWORK... I'll try and check that out sometime this week.

Yes, certain drawings, such as site plans are somewhat 2d intensive (lots of fills, etc)... But this seems MUCH slower than I recall.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
12 REPLIES 12
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is something you can try:

In the Drawing Manager, you can select all Drawings placed on Layouts, go to their Drawing Settings Dialog, and set the "On-Screen Preview" field from "Full Precision" to "Quick Preview" so those 2D-heavy Drawings take much less time to redraw.
That may help to speed it up a little bit.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I did try that... without much success... really had to go to NO PREVIEW to be workable...

I'll keep an eye on it....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Duane,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry about the experience!

Before diving deeper into the technical detail, I would like to ask whether the problem only happens in Teamwork or it also happens if you save the project as a solo file and work on it in solo mode? This will help us to understand whether the slowness comes from Teamwork operations or from the project itself.

Thank you very much for your help. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Some suggestions from past experience: in the past I've noticed that views placed on layouts can be much slower than the actual view opened for editing.

Especially imported 2D files can have thousands of duplicate lines that bring layout to a crawl.

Things like tree 'symbols' from 3rd party site drawings or imported details from manufacturers have had loads of sloppy drafting / duplicate lines.

Sometimes having too much on a single worksheet (like having all the 2D details for a project on one single worksheet) is also too much.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Agree with all of the above... And yes... seems like 2d stuff is much more difficult to archicad to contend with... Unfortunately, I'm not willing to give up my GRAPHICS...

So... in general, SITE PLANS (with 2d topo lines and organic fill patterns) and Elevations with STIPPLES or ROCK textures are the usual suspects... But, they tell part of my story, so I can't just TURN THEM OFF...

Regarding the TW vs. unshared aspect... I work about 90% in teamwork, so I don't have a good comparison. I am sure it's happened in both environments.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Duane,

If you don't have it installed, I can recommend the Check Duplicates addon from the Goodies.

It will show you if the view has any duplicate lines and give you the option to select them so you can delete them or hide them on a hidden layer if you feel like keeping them to be safe.

Detailed fills by themselves make things slower, but shouldn't bring things to a crawl, I find it's ussually thousands of duplicate lines from 3rd party imported drawings.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
Don't forget with lines and fills you also have the 'Consolidation' tools.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Barry.... right... but in my case it's not a LOT OF FILLS but FILLS of a HEAVY NATURE...

And lines are mostly due to TOPOs... so nothing "overlapping" just a lot of them...

SIDEBAR: About a year ago I found a utility for AUTOCAD that reduces the number of nodes in a POLY LINE.. I use it specifically for TOPOS imported from civil. Sometimes their resolution seems to be 3" increments! on a 5 acre hillside, that's insane!

My goal was to reduce so I could SPACEBAR CLICK to create my terrain...

Works really well for that! (it does require you to have a working copy of AutoCAD, tho.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If it is only the fills, maybe try switching off vectorial hatching when opening the layout? As a workaround to make things manageable.

View > On-Screen View Options > Vectorial Hatching

You should get a bitmap pattern instead.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5