Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Intentionally create Lines between Elements w/ same Surfaces

JaredBanks
Mentor
So coplanar elements with identical surfaces merge in elevation so that there faces read as one. This is a good thing.

BUT...

what about when you don't want there? For instance modeling framing, I want all the elements to be the same Building Material and Surface, but I want each element to read as discrete.

Anyone know how to make this happen?

I've thought about Complex Profiles with curved corners, but that is tricky, not real, and works great in one direction but gives extra lines in the other direction, plus when you look at the ends of the elements they aren't rectangular.

I could just fake it by changing surfaces of adjoining materials, but that isn't efficient enough.

Thoughts?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
14 REPLIES 14
Eduardo Rolon
Layer Set Number saved with the view?
Besides creating another Surface or BMat with different name.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jared,
I would move the elements apart by a fraction of a mm as in reality the elements would always have a small air gap between them unless they are glue laminated for welded but then you would have the thickness of the glue or weld between them
Scott
JaredBanks
Mentor
Different layer interesection groups would keep them from merging in 3D which is another effect I'll need, but it wouldn't create the line I'm looking for. I fear the different surface/BMat is what I'll have to do.

Scott, keeping them a mm apart would cause too many other issues and I think in this situation would be more cumbersome than dealing with different Surfaces.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Jared, if you dare messing with Registry settings, then you should check the "Line Eliminate Options" folder in the registry editor.

In Windows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GRAPHISOFT\ArchiCAD-64\ArchiCAD-64 17.0.0 INT R1\Line Eliminate Options

I don't know the Mac equivalent.

For example, there is a "Check Materials" option that might do what you want, I have not tried.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
JaredBanks
Mentor
Thanks. I don't dare!

I was talking to Monte at GSNA and he suggested something similar. If this were a different kind of project, I'd go that route, but I also need something I can easily give to/explain to non-gurus...

I need to check that out though. Just to know.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

KeesW
Advocate
I find it encouraging that experienced gurus such as Jared sometimes find the same issues as less skilled users such as myself. I have played with registries at various times and they aren't too frightening. However, in this case, I suspect that changing it in the registry, if possible, will change it for all instances - and most times we don't want it! Lines are needed especially when drawing details or surfaces which use the same materials but need to be separate, or butted. A default to choose which option one wants to use when drawing would be the best way to go. I've tried doing it by spacing components but it really messes with dimensioning.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Barry Kelly
Changing the registry will only affect the machine you are working on and will affect all jobs until you change it back.
As soon as you open the same job on another machine there will be no change unless you alter the registry there as well.

Layer priority numbers will not affect two surfaces that are in the same plane and touching.
They will still blend as if one surface - it will just stop the mitring at corners.

In 3D if using the Internal Engine you can set contours to 'Draft' but this won't affect your elevations.

The best way I know is to duplicate your material and give them slightly different names - i.e. 'brick_01' & 'brick_02'.
Then assign a different material to each adjoining surface.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
For this I just use duplicate materials. With ArchiCAD17 you can assign the same surface finish to it, even the same fill, just give the material a different name. Most common one for me is having 4 different Wood materials for prefabricated wood structures. For windows and doors we use different surfaces for frame, door and turning-parts (sorry don't know a good english translation for this one). This keeps them from merging, as windows/doors don't use building materials (yet).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
KeesW
Advocate
If you create materials with different names, doesn't AC automatically create unique numbers for it.If so, do you also need to allocate different colours or will the distinctive names do the job?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU