BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Interior Elevation Cut Objects are not correct

Anonymous
Not applicable
The image on the left is what we get with interior elevations, and the image on the right is what we want. I've put fills and lines on the right image to achieve the correct look - but is there a way that archicad will produce it for me instead?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
if you model the cabinet as a solid thing then when the IE marker 'cuts' through it you'll get what you want?!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestion - but it will then still show the lines around it - including the line at the wall/back of cabinet.

And if I model it as a solid element, the cabinets/drawers won't show up in the int. elevations, and I would still have to do linework.

Maybe archicad just isn't "intuitive" in this particular instance.
Erich
Contributor
Sam,

I had the same issue so I wrote a mask object to handle this.

It is a little cumbersome for the initial setup if there is a lot of cabinetry to mask (favorites can help with the repetitive setup) but the results work well, at least in my work flow. Let me know if you are interested and I will send it to you to try.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erich! I would like to try it out...whats the best way to send it to me?
Anonymous
Not applicable
is a mask object like a patch?
me not know about dat!

the way i'd mask it is marquee over the affected area (as close as possible to the cabinet inside the room, but overlapping the outer lines), then go document>document extras>create patch. this will create a 2D patch object over the area, which you can edit to remove the linework you don't want... the benefit is that it is editable and reusable anywhere in the file as long as the shape you're trying to patch is the same shape. it does mean however that it does not update with the model... so in that sense it's like what you've done but in an object form...

we use a patch specific layer for these 'patches' (remember, they are object and will have a layer assigned to them) and we save them in the project library folder (they are library parts after all)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sam wrote:
The image on the left is what we get with interior elevations, and the image on the right is what we want. I've put fills and lines on the right image to achieve the correct look - but is there a way that archicad will produce it for me instead?
Here is a tip you can try:
Create in the Profile Manager a Profile of the Counter. Assign this Profile to a Beam and place a Beam there.
Then use SEO to subtract the Beam body from the Zone.
Place the Beam on a hidden wireframed layer so it will not get into the view later.
Then in the Interior Elevation Settings Dialog, set the IE to get its height from the Zone and to take SEOs into consideration.
Let us see it that achieves what you are after.

Edit: I tried it in the meantime. It should work.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy - Genius! I think that will do just what I need! I frequently forget the usefulness of the profiler. Thanks for the tip and I'll let you know if I have any further issues.

Erika Epstein
Booster
Laszlo,
This is a long outstanding problem with archicad cabinets;Every single user of archicad has to do some kind of a work-around every time sections cut through archicad cabinets.

Can this be put on the list of library parts to be fixed if it is not already there?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sam,
Glad you like it. This is what Djordje is always saying: lateral thinking.
It is good practice to know very well what each Tool and feature is capable of and then you can use them very imaginatively for various purposes, not only for things their name implies.
One thing: When I did this SEO between the Beam and the Zone, it gave me some error message when regenerating the Interior Elevation. I just clicked OK and then it displayed it just fine.

Erika,
I will let the guys at GS know about this Cabinet thing.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!