Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Interior elevation reference text

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am muddling my way thru' interior elevations for the first time and having some difficulties.

I have placed Zones, and Interior Elevation reference objects (Int.Elev.1 10) within these zones. When I Create the interior elevations I cannot get the reference text to display - I have entered <zone number>, zone name>, <elevation number> in the Text tab of Interior Elevation Settings, set the colour, text height, location etc, but no text displays when elevations are created. Surely I am missing something obvious

The whole setup seems weird to me, having the elevations come up in a window that you then have to copy/paste from. But what can you do?

Thanks for your help and guidance, and not-too-exhuberant laughter.
11 REPLIES 11
__archiben
Booster
s2art wrote:
But what can you do?
use the real elevation tool. find (or script) a marker into quadrants references - i seem to recall tom waltz actually posted one on the talk here somewhere(?) . . . and place the four or them nestled together to form a 'whole' interior elevation marker.

the exuberant laughter is directed firmly at graphisoft for providing a 'tool' that in this case hasn't even made the 80% grade live model data? yeah right . . .

the interior elevation tool needs building in as a primary window . . . are you listening graphisoft? and no half-baked, half-arsed attempts at building an add-on on top of an add-on.

in fact the existing section tool really would suffice with some modifications: why can't it be made to limit it's extents to zone sizes? the most important aspect of this is probably development of the navigator to allow categorisation and hierarchy of different 'section' types..... remember: there is no such thing as an 'elevation'. it's just a limited kind of section . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hear you , Ben. Why do you always make sense?

Upon further study I have some more annoyances with the Interior Elevation "tool".

No text was the first one.

Doesn't recognise double height spaces: i.e. Our building has precast concrete walls to 2400 high, then the walls step out above (drawn on another storey), but these walls, because they are not part of the zone, are not included (and some of them have windows in them too). Same goes for the ceiling line / roof line (drawn on upper storey).

Inaccuracy: everything seems to be 0.1mm short. Doesn't sound like much, I know, but when you draw a ceiling slab at 2700, why is it not 2700? !@#$%^&*

Layers: Everything is now on Archicad layer - why? *&^%$#@!

Before I read Ben's reply, I tried using individual elevations for each wall of one room. Took a while to place them all, then would have to copy / paste and remove extranneous info, lay all the elevations out, add titles, adjust sloping ceiling heights when looking in direction of up-slope, blah, blah, blah.... but the effort might just be worth it.

Trouble is, my boss thinks you just have to "push a button" and it's all done for you. Yeah, right.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Upon further study I have some more annoyances with the Interior Elevation "tool".
I never got far enough to find more annoyances. One look and I went back to the section tool. Yes the set up is a pain (especially the way the markers move around when you stretch the sections) but at least you can get exactly what you want.
Trouble is, my boss thinks you just have to "push a button" and it's all done for you. Yeah, right.
You have to turn that function on in your Work Environment (it's off by default). Add the "Architecture" menu item to the "Design" menu. When selected you fill in the style (Federalist, Colonial, Queen Anne, etc.), type (residential, commercial, etc.) and program fields (number of bedrooms, offices, classrooms and whatever).

In about 1 1/2 to 3 hours (depending on the scope) it will produce completed construction documents. Of course you may have to purchase local code compliance modules separately.

The styles are presently limited to traditional (ie pre-20th century). Perhaps there will be add-ons for "Frank LLoyd-Wright, Greene & Greene, Corbu, Mies, etc. once the copyright issues get sorted out.

Of course it doesn't work nearly as well as the interior elevation tool.
__archiben
Booster

more big picture thinking prof lohden?

b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Matthew, that's cheered me up.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Think I'll just use one of the Interior Elevation markers as a non-automatic reference, and turn the real section / elevation markers off.

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:

more big picture thinking prof lohden?

Ben,

Do you mean to tell me that you haven't been using it? That's how I could afford my beach house in Monaco (still saving up for the yacht though). Of course I had to tweak it to put out SD and DD sets and I still scribble a few sketches so the clients don't catch on.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Stuart, here's something for you (or anyone) to try. It's a simple section marker that has settings for all the common situations including IE's (using stacked markers as Ben suggests). It only has one style so if you don't like the classic circle with arrow you'll have to look elsewhere or modify. I'm posting it as a .pla so you'll have a few examples of the different configurations. HTH.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Here's the file.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Learn and get certified!