Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Intersect eave & rake?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want my CP eave & rake to intersect each other and match up. First picture is them placed. Second picture shows what happens when I try the intersect. Do they need to be the same materials? (i.e.: fascia boards made of same fill)?

eave_rake.jpg
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is "intersected".
Anonymous
Not applicable
Got it mostly cleaned up but still a hole at the corner.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are those CPs used as a beam? Because the beam tool provides the tilt and roll that may achieve the intersection you are looking for if you place them as beams. And I am assuming the intersection would be perpendicular along the roof angle.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes they are beams.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are those two different CPs? I ask because I wonder if perhaps the different soffit/overhang depths are preventing you from completely closing the intersection? Could the fascia be its own CP? Either that or double check the size and materials (maybe they do need to match) of the fascia between the two CPs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah they're two different CP's. I didn't know really what the process is for creating an eave/rake CP. Should just the fascias be a CP (the same) then make the rest separately?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps I could suggest (and anyone could feel free to rebut with a better one) having the fascia as its own CP and use the roof tool to recreate the soffit?

EDIT:
Steven wrote:
Should just the fascias be a CP (the same) then make the rest separately?
Sorry. Didn't see this post since I did not refresh my window. Looks like we both now share the same idea.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Steve,
1.Check that the reference line in the CP occurs at the same place e.g. the inside most plane, the one that abuts the roof.

2. the second CP the fills will be taller to adjust to the distortion of the angle of the slope of the roof.

If you do a search, David Maudlin or Peter Devlin did a nice tutorial on the second part.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Got it. Used same profile as a beam for both. I only profiled the fascia boards as the soffit detailing will be different between the two. I believe that's what was messing me up before, I was trying to intersect two different profiles.