Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Intersect eave & rake?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want my CP eave & rake to intersect each other and match up. First picture is them placed. Second picture shows what happens when I try the intersect. Do they need to be the same materials? (i.e.: fascia boards made of same fill)?

eave_rake.jpg
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. The reference line is the problem.

This might be a regional thing. Fascias and eaves are always built out of the same lumber. i.e. if the fascia is 2x12 on the rake it will be 2x12 on the eave. If the shingle strip is 1x4 on the rake it will be on the eave. This means the carpenters have to cut out a little flat spot at the bottom of the rake to make the pieces intersect. Properly drawn it should look like as shown below.
eave.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or like this if you have a perpendicular roof edge, correct?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. I assumed your example was with a plumb eave.
Stress Co_
Advisor
I WISH we had a better roof tool
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed. I spend a lot of extra time trying to get roofs to look right. I had to develop custom objects to do the job.
Anonymous
Not applicable
phubbell wrote:
Agreed. I spend a lot of extra time trying to get roofs to look right. I had to develop custom objects to do the job.
Hi Phubell
When you have time.
Do you mind showing how your "custom objects" get the job done,
as an inspiration?
Anonymous
Not applicable
No problem. Contact me at phubbell@mac.com.

The overhang objects rely in part on trimming code I use in the beam object I've put in the depository.
Anonymous
Not applicable
To create simple rakes and fascias without rake/eave problems: copy the roof , then offset and change thickness to match your trim elelment. Fast and easy to redo if main roof gets edited.
Now offset the new rake or fascia "roof" and subtract out the internal area to avoid 3D viz issues and garbage looking sections.

Snap