Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Intersecting horizontal and vertical elements in 3D

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I recently started working with Archicad 21, and I am confronting an issue which I have not found a solution for. I have attached some images presenting the problem. All of the beams, walls and columns that I have seem to intersect the slabs in the model. I have assured that they are linked to the correct floor with no additional vertical displacements. What is very bothering is that when I seem to export the 3D model for rendering/further editing, it still seems to be keeping these intersections. I have also tried resetting the material priority order and still I have overlapping/intersecting surfaces in my 3D. I would really appreciate any help on this topic.

Kind regards,

Alaa I

https://imgur.com/a/HvvBzut
3 REPLIES 3
Lingwisyer
Guru
Is the issue that your beams and columns are penetrating through the slab?

This will always happen if the Intersection Priority of the slab's Building Material is lower than that of the beams/columns and the top offset is set to the same as the slab offset. You will either have to modify the Building Materials so that the slab has a higher Intersection Priority than the beams/columns or reduce the heights of them so that they end below the top surface of the slab.

Options => Element Attributes = > Building Materials

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Lingwisyer,

I have already considered that option, but thought their might be a simpler way to do it. Thank you for your response!
Lingwisyer
Guru
You could model all of your floors as composites. Say a 250 slab set as core with a 50 floor finish as a skin then set said slab to align to core. Though this will probably make things a bit troublesome later on if you are needing to reference your floor levels in elevation and section as FFL rather than FSL as all the story reference levels will be to FSL.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660