Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Inverted cone with the curtain wall tool.

TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi,

I didn't thing it would be challenging as the slanted curtain wall is easy to set when it is linear . but how to have a slated curved curtain wall (an inverted conical shape for instance ) ?
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
3 REPLIES 3
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
TMA_80:

There is a thread here from 2005, but the solutions did not use the Curtain Wall: creating a canted curved glass curtain wall, I don't think the tool can do that directly. There is a video here for building it out of pieces of Curtain Wall: How to create dome shape with the curtain wall in ArchiCAD 15.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hi there,
David is right, you can't do it with one single Curtain Wall, it needs to be faceted.

An alternative method is to do it with an Object, (if it's worth the time), or do it in the way it used to be in the times before the Curtain Wall tool:
  • -Create a Profiled Wall for the Glass and Transoms.
    -Place it with the radius needed
    -Create Profiled Columns or Morphs for the Mullions, and place them aligned with the center of the wall's center
The down side is that you have to place mullions one by one. ( which sucks a little bit)

Hope it helps
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
TMA_80
Enthusiast
NandoMogollon wrote:

An alternative method is to do it with an Object, (if it's worth the time), or do it in the way it used to be in the times before the Curtain Wall tool:
  • -Create a Profiled Wall for the Glass and Transoms.
    -Place it with the radius needed
    -Create Profiled Columns or Morphs for the Mullions, and place them aligned with the center of the wall's center
the down side is that you have to place mullions one by one. ( which sucks a little bit)
Thanks both for your help;

I've used the the method above ( the profile was extracted from the curtain wall ). another downside is that, we loses the parametric aspect of the curtain wall.

I can understand that curved slanted wall may be complex in some cases but I really hope Someone from GS is reading this post to enhance the curtain wall (I think that the range of needed geometries are more then the ones that are available )
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|