Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Is placing zone name behind a fill possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to hide a zone without using layers so I would like to place a white fill in front of it. Is it possible or zone names are always on top? Display order doesn't seem to work on the zone name only on the zone polygon. I ask because it is not clear that it's a bug or normal. The project is in AC 20.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
The zone fill and zone stamp act as one element, but the zone stamp is always above the zone fill.
You can place a solid fill and by default it will be above the zone fill but below the zone stamp.
If you use the 'Bring To Front' (or enough 'Bring Forward') command, the fill will hide the text but also the zone fill.
You can't have it hide the text but not the zone fill.
But if your intent is to hide the zone fill and the zone text, yes it can be done.

Also zone fills use RGB colours whereas a normal fill uses standard pens, so you may not be able to match fill colours if you need to do that.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
It is very easy to hide zone fills with Graphic Override settings.

Make a rule for Element Type Zone, set Fill Type to an empty fill for the Cover Fills, set Fill Background Pen to 0 for Cover Fills.

Create a Graphic Override Combination and add this rule to it.

Set up your floor plan view to use this Graphic Override Combination.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, but I think it doesn't solve my problem.
I attached a picture. If I do the graphic override my zone becomes transparent but the zone name, ID etc is still visible because it isn't affected by the override (nor the fill on top of it... but this is what I've already written).
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to keep the text, but hide the colour of the zone with a separate fill.

So basically you want to make the entire zone (fill + text) invisible, but not hide the layer. This seems like a very strange approach.

You could pin the zones to a custom Renovation Filter, that way you would only see them on views with that specific renovation filter.

Hiding a layer to not see elements is sort of the point of having layers though.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Solution
Barry Kelly
The zone fill and zone stamp act as one element, but the zone stamp is always above the zone fill.
You can place a solid fill and by default it will be above the zone fill but below the zone stamp.
If you use the 'Bring To Front' (or enough 'Bring Forward') command, the fill will hide the text but also the zone fill.
You can't have it hide the text but not the zone fill.
But if your intent is to hide the zone fill and the zone text, yes it can be done.

Also zone fills use RGB colours whereas a normal fill uses standard pens, so you may not be able to match fill colours if you need to do that.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks!
Barry what you show on that picture is what I want, but I can't get it to work. Must be an AC20 teamwork bug. It works in solo PLN but not in our teamwork file.

I really don't like Graphisoft's approach to hiding elements in AC because after a while we always end up with a really high number of layers. And layers are a chore to handle. It would be much easier if the graphic overrides had a "hide element" checkbox.

In my specific case renovation filter could have been used, I know... but the pace of work required makes using it a source of error. So we wanted to use something simpler so all colleauges would understand it.