BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

? Is there a way to assign a "3D Shadows on/off" keystroke?

Anonymous
Not applicable
When setting up Shadow/Sun Studies, I'm using the 3D window to set up suitable perspectives, but navigation is painfully slow with shadows on. So I have to keep setting them on & off, via the "3D Settings" dialog, every time I start and stop navigation.

Does anybody know a way of making this way quicker by setting up a "Toggle 3D Shadows on/off" keystroke?
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think there is one, but I definitely agree that there SHOULD be one. Shadows provide better feedback, but it is indeed very slow. And also the shadows go away when you start 3D exploring.

One alternative is BIM, there's good shadow casting and performance is good, at least on my computer.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You may try to experiment with different settings for the 3D Window to make it faster. For example, set it to Internal Engine, then set the Hidden Line Mode field to Raster, turn Contours Off. (Leave the Shaded Mode field on Analytic as that is needed for shadows to appear).

Another thing you can do is to save two Views, one with Shadows, one without Shadows. This will save the camera and target points as well so activating them switches back to the saved position, but only you know if that is an OK workaround for you or your purposes.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!