BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Is there away to slice a slab with a polyline?

4hotshoes
Advisor
I have a large slab and want to slice it into two complex shapes without cutting a hole or loosing any of the slab. I would like to draw a polyline and use that as a cutting line to create two slabs.
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
1. Drag a Copy of the Slab and the Polyline to the side so you can modify them without interference.
2. Duplicate the Slab in its place so you have actually two Slabs on top of each other.
3. Select one of the Slabs and activate the "Subtract from Polygon" command of the Pet Palette, then SPACE-click into on of the parts of the Slab to subtract that area from the Slab.
4. Select the other Slab and subtract the other Slab's are from it using a similar method.

You now have effectively cut the Slab into two along the polyline.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
4hotshoes
Advisor
I was hoping there was a "Split" tool, which works great for linear objects, but for area objects like a slab and roof. I know I can use the split tool to make a single line slice across a slab. But I would like to see the split tool have the option for a polyline split for cutting complex lines into a slab.
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Would it be an idea to cut the slab in half by adding points?

Made a video of it.
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
4hotshoes
Advisor
Dontknow wrote:
Would it be an idea to cut the slab in half by adding points?

Made a video of it.
That works but it is extra work and not much different than using the Split Tool straight across then adding the points. Its not a big deal. I was just wondering if I was overlooking an existing feature, but I was not.
Todd Oeftger
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't know if I understand correctly, but in this situation, I usually draw a polyline, use the eyedrop tool to get the slab specs, and Magic Wand each part (even multiple parts).
Hope this helps.
Learn and get certified!