Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Issue, Stair Break Mark

For a stair with the setting Break Mark Position: Floor Plan Cut Plane Height.

I expect the break mark to be drawn in reference to the FPCP of the view so that if the entire stair is placed below the FPCP then there will be no break mark. And this is what I get if the stair is within one story and have a view of the story above.

However, this does not seem to work if I place a stair entirely below the lowest story in a model. As the entire stair will be below the FPCP I don't expect there to be a break mark - yet there is. 

If I add a lower story (regardless of height) it will be drawn correct (without break mark) on the story above. If I elevate the stair so that part of is within the range of the lowest story but below the FPCP it will be drawn correct (without break mark) at that story.

Am I missing something or is this a limitation or a bug? Running AC 25.4013.

9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Can you show a few screenshots about the relevant settings in the Stair Settings Dialog and the resulting floor plan representation?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Here is a illustration of the issue. The three stairs have the same setting and the plan view is from the ground floor. I expect the one in the middle and the one the right to be drawn without a break mark as they both are below the FPCP of the ground floor. But this is only the case for the middle, the right (which is placed completely outside the range of the lowest level) is drawn with a break mark. The break mark seem to be placed as if the stair was placed with zero offset from ground floor. 

thesleepofreason_2-1648620904364.png

thesleepofreason_1-1648620871388.png

My guess is that since the stair to the right does not physically intersect any stories it doesn't have any Relevant Story which in turn breaks something in the calculation of the break mark position.

thesleepofreason_3-1648622252710.png

thesleepofreason_0-1648620715257.png

@thesleepofreason wrote:

My guess is that since the stair to the right does not physically intersect any stories it doesn't have any Relevant Story which in turn breaks something in the calculation of the break mark position.

That would be my guess too.

What happens if you add a storey below the ground floor?

You may still have to play around with what the home storey is for that stair.

Does it still belong to the ground floor or should the home storey now be the one below and the set to display one storey up?

You also then have the settings for how it appears on each storey.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Can you just add another story below? You can always turn off the display of this story in your sections and elevations.

Mentioned in OP... whelp...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Forcing the correct display is easy - either by adding an ad hoc story or changing the display setting of the stair.

The question is if it should be needed and if so - isn't it problematic (and a bit worrying) with the display of elements not following the settings?

I wouldn't call it an ad hoc storey.

If you stair is completely below the ground storey, wouldn't you want a storey to place it in?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

In this case the only purpose of such a story would be to ensure the correct display of that stair (and any other element that might suffer from the same limitation/bug) - that would be the definition of ad hoc.

Not only don't I want another story to place the stair in - I obviously don't need another story to place the stair in as there is no issue regarding the placement.

The issue here is an element not displaying as expected given its settings. The expectation might be wrong but otherwise it's either a limitation or a bug. If it is a limitation there should be some indication of it. If its a bug it should be investigated and fixed.

We’ve just found a similar issue with the Rails tool. A handrail that spans multiple levels (like a multilevel fire stair) doesn’t respect the display settings for “above relevant level”. We’re having to insert a dummy level above it so it doesn’t show up on roof plans.

I don’t recall this being an issue previously in AC24/etc, but we haven’t had a chance to go back and test. 

24 / 25 Win10 & Win11 & OSX

Doesn't show up on roof plans? Might that just be your FPCP stories down setting?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660