Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Issue with Morphs and Rotated Grids in 3D window

AlexM
Booster

Hi All - just checking in for other people's wisdom and experience here:

I have a building that requires a number of rotated grids.

In the 3d window, I can pick a rotated grid and use the construction planes to draw in a number of different orientations. All good.

I can setup a rotated grid, and draw walls, slabs, stairs, etc all orientated to the new grid.

When I choose the Morph Tool, the grid snaps back to the original orthogonal grid. If I orientate a new grid with the Morph Tool active, it simply rotates back to the original ortho grid as soon as I use the Morph Tool.

All the other tools work on the rotated grid as expected. Just Morph tool doesn't.

Am I over looking something? Is this a bug? Or is it expected behaviour? I really hope it's not expected behaviour because it's seriously making me frustrated.

I'm using AC24 v5000. I'm downloading v6000 now, but I don't see anything about Morph or Construction Grids in the change log. I get the same behaviour in AC25. Only tested on Windows at the moment, but can test on Mac later.

AlexM_0-1634078904830.pngAlexM_1-1634079044661.png

24 / 25 Win10 & Win11 & OSX
4 REPLIES 4
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hello,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry about the experience!

I could reproduce this issue from Archicad 18 till the current version. Unfortunately, I don't have any explanation for it. Let me ask for some help from our colleagues for further investigation. As soon as we know more, I will let you know!

Thank you once again, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Minh, just following up here to see if there’s any response from the team on this one. When I’ve looked back at some of our team’s modelling issues this looks like a contributing factor to some difficulties/frustrations with complex modelling (detailed steel canopies/etc). We implemented a Rhino connection workflow to solve those, but that brings its own challenges.

I appreciate you following up on the original question!

24 / 25 Win10 & Win11 & OSX
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for following up with this issue and we are very sorry for our late reply!

Our developers confirmed that this bug was fixed in the past, but somehow it is still happening at the current Archicad versions. We are still looking into it at the moment.

Once again, I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience! I will report back as soon as we have the answer from development!

Thank you very much for your understanding!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi Alex,

Our developer confirmed that this is an old limitation in our database. However, since there is very few report about it, the issue was not fixed. 

Unlike other elements morph has automatic plane selection method which ignores the previously set orientation.

Unfortunately, we don't have a workaround for it in this case. Anyhow, we have entered it as DEF-6938. I hope that we will be able to improve this behavior in the future.

Thank you once again for raising this issue with us. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT