BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Issue with a morphed slab

Aussie John
Newcomer
Hi have an element made from a slab - rectangle with a half round end. If I convert to morph and apply a radius edge the curve is slightly different to the straight line (leaving a small raised junction) - In the section you can see the different radius of the curve in the background and in the 3 d a change in the reflection.

I have actually printed this in 3d and the bump is real.

Any thoughts on how to generate this correctly.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
7 REPLIES 7
DGSketcher
Legend
Morphs are prone to faceting which is where the bump may have come from.

I would look at at forming this with a slab and adding a perimeter wall with a custom profile containing the curved edge. Not sure how that works with 3D printing but in modelling terms you may get a more accurate representation.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Carstenem
Expert
Try to double segment the morph a couple of times. Do it twice first and see if that helps. Morph needs to be selected.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Barry Kelly
Carstenem wrote:
Try to double segment the morph a couple of times. Do it twice first and see if that helps. Morph needs to be selected.

I am not sure this will help as it seems that the chamfer facet size on the straight edge is different to the one on the curved edge.

The only thing I can think of is to create a flat morph polygon that is the shape of the chamfer you want. and then tube it around the slab.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Carstenem
Expert
Yes that is annoying but still worth a try to double the segments. The more segments you get the less the difference between the straight and curved facet. I like your suggestion Barry, that could work just fine.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Aussie John
Newcomer
Barry wrote:
The only thing I can think of is to create a flat morph polygon that is the shape of the chamfer you want. and then tube it around the slab.
Barry.
Barry
After pondering it for a while that was my thought too.
Tube is a bit of a pain as the profile has to be coded in segments although I fairly sure the XY plane curve can use the additional status codes.
I don't suppose you still have the GDL for the tube you setup?
cheers John

Cheers John
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Barry Kelly
That wasn't GDL that I did.
Just a slab with a curved end.
Add a polygon morph to one end and then use pet palette tube option to extrude it around the slab.

If I was scripting this then i would probably just use FPRISM or HPRISM.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello All,

I looked at it and it definitely looks like a bug, I added it to our list (#254344). Interestingly enough, when you select a single straight edge on a morph and fillet it, then it works file, but if you have multiple edges selected, then the curve won't be tangential to the faces.

I think what Barry did, is just create the curve manually from a flat morph, and then use the tube method from the pet palette to extrude it. I also tried that, and it works like a charm. I think this is the best workaround until a fix.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Learn and get certified!