Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Issue with overwritten library objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello there,
I hope someone can help with a frustrating issue i am having. When i place library objects, some place OK whilst others are overwritten by a seemingly random mixture of textures/materials. I cannot seem to change this. I have tried to delete the library Cache, but this doesn't seem to help. I am new to AC and when first getting to grips with the software perhaps i changed some settings somewhere and i am unsure how to get this back to how it should do.

Furthermore, I am finding an issue with cabinets - i want to save the attributes so these are saved for the next cabinets (same finish etc) however when i try the droplet it just duplicates the cabinet which is already there; i have done all which has been mentioned in the help manual yet perhaps i am missing something obvious.

I have attached a image of the main issue re overwritten and random materials to library objects.

I would appreciate some advice!
Regards
Jamie
6 REPLIES 6
Lingwisyer
Guru
Materials are one of the many things in AC that are dictated by and Index Number. If the material assigned to an index number is different from one file to another, then the appearance of an object that uses said material will look different. If need by, you can use the Attribute Manager to make files consistent by transferring attributes "by index".

In terms of the eye dropper, you may need to check it's settings.

Edit => Element Settings => Element Transfer Settings

In your image, is that two of the cabinet on the left, or is it a corner cabinet?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
As a rule of thumb (assuming your template is based off the one that came shipped with your version of archicad and should work properly with that version's library): never change the 'stock' attributes, allways duplicate them, give them a clear new name and adjust those.

I've seen users change a white paint surface to green tiles or something to have those on the wall in a toilet and then act surprised when all their standard door frames look like green tiles.

Two seconds of extra work to create new attributes will save headaches later on.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ling,
Thanks for the reply.

I think by the sounds of things perhaps i have unknowingly made some issues the same index numbers.

The image is a corner cabinet which was downloaded and embedded from the library manager yet the same combination has appeared on various other objects before.

I couldn't find the setting; that makes much more sense now, thank you!

Regards
Jamie

Lingwisyer wrote:
Materials are one of the many things in AC that are dictated by and Index Number. If the material assigned to an index number is different from one file to another, then the appearance of an object that uses said material will look different. If need by, you can use the Attribute Manager to make files consistent by transferring attributes "by index".

In terms of the eye dropper, you may need to check it's settings.

Edit => Element Settings => Element Transfer Settings

In your image, is that two of the cabinet on the left, or is it a corner cabinet?

Ling.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Erwin,
Thanks for this. I think the issue mentioned is exactly what i have done. Is there a way that i can essentially reset the stock attributes? I feel that is the most logical thing to do as i am unsure exactly what i have changed so at least from then on i won't run into this issue as it'll be lesson learned!
Regards
Jamie

Erwin wrote:
As a rule of thumb (assuming your template is based off the one that came shipped with your version of archicad and should work properly with that version's library): never change the 'stock' attributes, allways duplicate them, give them a clear new name and adjust those.

I've seen users change a white paint surface to green tiles or something to have those on the wall in a toilet and then act surprised when all their standard door frames look like green tiles.

Two seconds of extra work to create new attributes will save headaches later on.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Options => Element Attributes => Attribute Manager => Surfaces

On the right side, you will want to import your original template. Select all surfaces on the right side, and transfer them by index.

On Windows, it is located at: C:\Program Files\Graphisoft\ARCHICAD 22\Defaults\ARCHICAD

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Ling, much appreciated!

Lingwisyer wrote:
Options => Element Attributes => Attribute Manager => Surfaces

On the right side, you will want to import your original template. Select all surfaces on the right side, and transfer them by index.

On Windows, it is located at: C:\Program Files\Graphisoft\ARCHICAD 22\Defaults\ARCHICAD

Ling.