BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Issues with Curtain Wall tool.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe the curtain wall needs some work. My first issue is editing the object itself. When I enter edit mode I am able to select every component of the object individually or as a group, but not ever component is able to be deleted. This should be fixed. Every part of the object should be subject to user editing.

My second issue revolves around the snapping when moving mullions and such. No matter which node of an individual piece I select, it always adjusts the member from the center. Now this wouldn't be that big of a deal if the center was an applicable snap location on other components within the curtain wall. As such I find myself snapping the center of one member to the edge of another when I simply want them to align.

My last issue is with the panels of the curtain wall. My latest object required a frameless connection on the corner. I had succeeded in getting the mullions to sync up and become a mitered corner but the glass remains stubborn and refuses to join with its opposite piece. Since I can't edit the panel other than deleting it, I am stuck looking at the edge of glass in my elevations.
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Regarding the first issue, if you're talking about the outer frame of the curtain wall, no you can't delete that. But you can do trim-to-roof trims on curtain walls and trim off the outer frame if you need to.

A technique I use in conjunction with this is I have a layer called HOLDING that I use to dump what ever in. When I'm modeling curtain walls I save those trimming steps to as close to the end as possible. Before I start to trim, I'll copy and paste the wall to preserve what I've already modeled at that point in case I need the wall un-trimmed later. And I do this right before I do each trim as well until I'm done with the trimming of that wall. Then I dump those copies in the HOLDING layer just in case I need any state of that wall later on so I don't have to repeat work to get it. Most of the time I don't use it and end up deleting them, but the over head of copying the wall and dumping the copies to the HOLDING layer is negliable and I don't notice it. But I've have quite a few times when I needed an untrimmed version of a curtain wall and I've appreciated that I went though the trouble of preserving my past effort as it can be a chore to reset up a curtain wall from scratch later.
Learn and get certified!