BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Its ableto built bilbao's guggenheim directly in archicad?

Alanerniquez
Participant
Im new at this thing of the BIM and i think is amazing switching from ancient autocad way of drawing to Archicad but i have found kind of difficult triyng to design very organic shapes and with maxon form seems more difficult so i would like to know if there is a way to design something like Gehry's designs directly from archicad.
waiting 4 your answers and tell me how you do it if u can.
Mexico
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you model the Guggenheim in ArchiCAD? No not really. He had to use his horrendously complex in-house developed software Digital Project to do it!

ArchiCAD is very limited in its freeform modelling, curved and profiled shapes are the best you can do currently. It is excellent for doing regular shaped buildings though! Maxonform/Cinema4D is the best 'integrated' 3d modeller we have, but unfortunately the organic shaped parts lose all intelligence after conversion.

I'm not even sure Revit could do it natively. All the fancy shape forming would probably need to be done in something like Rhino and imported in.

Basically, there isn't much out there that can both model the building and retain component intelligence, which is what BIM is about.
I wish there were at least some video game in which you could blow it up.
Anonymous
Not applicable
No you can't. And that is the reason why interesting firms that do high end modern design don't use Archicad (or Revit). The smaller firms use Rhino, Maya and Autocad and the larger firms tend to ad Generative Component or Digital Project to the mix. Unfortunately, bim sofware like Archicad or Revit seemed to be geared towards the more mainstream architecture.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly! Give me a $450 million construction project...I'd use technologies finest too!

However, I'd still want a functioning model for FM...

Imagine who/what you could work with for 1/2 billion dollars. Who or what would be part of your team?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
Exactly! Give me a $450 million construction project...I'd use technologies finest too!

However, I'd still want a functioning model for FM...

Imagine who/what you could work with for 1/2 billion dollars. Who or what would be part of your team?
I am working on quite a few projects in the $500 - $800 million range and most of them are done in AutoCAD. All 2D. The rest are in ArchiCAD or Revit. The Gehry style is still rare regardless of project type. Just because the client has the better part of a billion to spend doesn't mean they want to put a large chunk of that into zoomitecture.
Anonymous
Not applicable
... and most of them are done in AutoCAD ...
Oh, the horror! and dare not speak its name!
Just because the client has the better part of a billion to spend doesn't mean they want to put a large chunk of that into zoomitecture.
No, the clients never do...just the architects...
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Matthew Lohden Just because the client has the better part of a billion to spend doesn't mean they want to put a large chunk of that into zoomitecture.[/quote wrote:

And here is where the USA and the rest of the world differs. In europe, the middle eastern countries and asia, clients are always looking for the newest of the newest. Architects, (boutique architects to stararchitects) need to be on the cutting edge of technology, otherwise they lose their business. Frank Gehry architecture is not unique there. Because of this, BIM software in the format of Archicad is less likely to be used in these countries. On the contrary, in the USA, where clients are extremely conservative and therefore demanding brick colonials or venetian style architecture, archicad and revit would be the perfect tool.

Architects are more space planners than designers (designs are fixed) and therefore demand other tools in a BIM that are available in packages as Archicad and Revit.
Djordje
Ace
Yes, it is true that the Middle East, especially the village I reside in for the last decade or so, does have clients that would say "OK, do it" or "Sheikh SuchAlSuch has this twisted, I want it twisted and curved" and the twinkle in the proverbial CONCEPTUAL design architect is strong.

But then the reality hits. As do delays, budgets that multiply by five, and other attractive events.

And projects get re-designed. Because, the Rhinos, C4Ds and maxes of this universe do great digital blobs. How to actually build them is quite another matter.

Blobotecture is like the Bugatti Veyron - it is made because VW wanted to do it, and because 300 people in the world want to pay for it. Not because anyone really needs it.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dwight
Newcomer
The solution to insoluble building problems that so many naive visionaries have, fancy software or not, is to "send it down to the technicians, they will come up with something…"

I notice that most of the Archicad users on this forum actually charged with making buildings don't thirst for non-repeating irregularity.

Not that i wouldn't love to smoosh some blobs.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!