Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Joist Hanger missing in 21 [USA Detailer library]

TracyGA
Contributor
Does anyone know why ArchiCAD got rid of the joist hanger library part? We were just looking for it in our office and realized it is no where to be found in ArchiCAD 21.
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
This is a USA issue (these parts have only ever been in the US library).

Graphisoft US (not HQ in Hungary) did this for totally unknown reasons - just as they also only provided a 'commercial' template out of the box this year, rather than residential and commercial as in years past.

Contact your reseller to complain.

The workaround is to use the File > Libraries and Objects > Extract a Container command on the AC 20 library LCF file to temporarily unpack the entire library into some folder (maybe call it AC 20 Detailer Lib) on your computer where you'd like to keep these symbols for future reference.

Remove everything from this folder EXCEPT the 00 General 20/Detailer Library 20 folder as well as the MACROS 20/Detailer Macros 20 folder. You'll remove more stuff in a bit.

If you want all of the missing 2D symbols, open Library Manager and add the folder above (AC 20 Detailer Lib or whatever you called it). You'll get a ton of duplicate part error messages because of the selected symbols that ARE in the AC 21 USA library. You can later eliminate those errors (you should) by going to the folder you created above and deleting the folder/content that corresponds to what IS in the AC 21 library in the 00 General 21 > 2D Details 21 folders. Crazy, but you'll see that while the original library has all kinds of masonry, the Masonry 21 folder only has what is in the CMU folder from the old library - so just delete the CMU stuff from the disk folder that you created. Etc.

After clean-up, the folder on your disk will contain all of the old stuff that isn't in the new 2D Details 21 folder. I have no idea if they improved any of those parts or why they chose to only include the random folders that they did.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Ugh.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
And while we're complaining... why have these never been created as 3d Objects... Does no one else put joist hangers in their models?
Duane

Visual Frontiers

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
This gets more interesting...

I went to EXPAND LIBRARY CONTAIN and found that the SIMPSON stuff is IN the MIGRATION LIBRARY under AC20 parts..

But I can't SELECT them from the object tool...

hmmm.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Soo... I couldn't LOAD the part, but I could "SAVE TO DISK" from the Library Manager (so I didn't have to extract the full library)...

Then, even after LOADING just that library, they were not available to choose from the object tool...

Then I just DRAGGED them from the FINDER (MAC speak)... onto the plan and it was there... I then opened the part and saved back to the folder as a 21.gsm and it's fine...

I am using these to create 3d Parts (with the ability to display them in a 2d window as FRONT and SIDE as well)
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank You, Karl.
Arghhhhh!
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Has anyone created a replacement library for the discontinued parts, as Karl described, and published it? I could have sworn I saw one on a web site somewhere, but now that I need it for my updated Template, I don't see it. Graphisoft really should provide this.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
By the way, I created a Wish to bring back the objects here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=272782&highlight=library+part+detail#272782
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB