Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Kinda good PC, kinda bad performance (pointcloud)

Karol Argasinski
Enthusiast
Dear all, especially dearest GRAPHISOFT staff,

I am writing with an issue, which I can't resolve:
I am running ARCHICAD 24 with newest updates. My workstation specs are:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
    Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070
    32GB RAM DDR4
    Drives: SSDs and NVMe
    Windows 10 Pro with newest updates
and unfortunately, archicad project, when working in 3D (pointcloud attached) is really slow. I am working with pointclouds for many years and I was filtering them always (the pointcloud attached is like just 1GB).
I reinstalled drivers for graphic card, it didn't help.
Maybe there is some kind of solution for that? I can send files to check.

Best,
Karol
OPENBIM does works!
ArchiCAD 22/23/24/25/26/27 INT &POL

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 128GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3070, Windows 11 Pro
MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB
http://www.bimfaktoria.pl/
4 REPLIES 4
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Karol,

Thank you very much for your question and I am very sorry for the experience!

From my experience, the Point Cloud module in Archicad is not very well-optimized. In some cases, you may experience some slowness when navigating in 3D. Nevertheless, it is not very clear to me what is the main factor for the slowness. A 1GB point cloud file can be as slow as a 3GB point cloud file. Nevertheless, I haven't encountered a point cloud that makes the file to slow to be usable (but of course it also depends on how complex your project is when importing the point cloud in).

When you have performance issue with point cloud, is it an empty project or is it a big project already?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Karol wrote:
Dear all, especially dearest GRAPHISOFT staff,

I am writing with an issue, which I can't resolve:
I am running ARCHICAD 24 with newest updates. My workstation specs are:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
    Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070
    32GB RAM DDR4
    Drives: SSDs and NVMe
    Windows 10 Pro with newest updates
and unfortunately, archicad project, when working in 3D (pointcloud attached) is really slow. I am working with pointclouds for many years and I was filtering them always (the pointcloud attached is like just 1GB).
I reinstalled drivers for graphic card, it didn't help.
Maybe there is some kind of solution for that? I can send files to check.

Best,
Karol
https://www.pointcab-software.com/en/modules/pointcab-4bimm/
As you know very well I am sure, there is no need to import a pointclouds into ArchiCAD with PointCAB. And there is more and more software available all the time that automatically generates vectors, mesh, surfaces, etc... which is what we are really trying to get from a pointcloud.

So what are some reasons that you might want to import a pointclould into ArchiCAD if you are already using PointCAB software?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Karol Argasinski
Enthusiast
Hi Steve,

You're totally right . We know PointCab and we love it. The thing is, sometimes, it is crucial to check stuff in 3D and even show something to the client in a "3D world" .

I love Octree Filtering in PointCab and I am working on pointclouds on ARCHICAD since the module made it debut in v19. Still, file "that big" shouldn't make so much fuss to my PC. That's all I am concerned.

Best,
Karol
OPENBIM does works!

MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB
Karol Argasinski
Enthusiast
mnguyen wrote:
Hi Karol,

Thank you very much for your question and I am very sorry for the experience!

From my experience, the Point Cloud module in Archicad is not very well-optimized. In some cases, you may experience some slowness when navigating in 3D. Nevertheless, it is not very clear to me what is the main factor for the slowness. A 1GB point cloud file can be as slow as a 3GB point cloud file. Nevertheless, I haven't encountered a point cloud that makes the file to slow to be usable (but of course it also depends on how complex your project is when importing the point cloud in).

When you have performance issue with point cloud, is it an empty project or is it a big project already?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh
Hi Minh,

Thank you for reaching out.

I think there might be hardware issue, since it wasn't a problem on an old drivers. Also, maybe newest Windows 10 Update? Did you have any signals on that kind of matter?

Please send me PM, so I can contact you further on that topic.

Best,
Karol
OPENBIM does works!

MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions