BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

L Shaped Staircase Turning

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm experiencing problems with a basic L shaped stair with winders.

For some reason when ever I edit & the stair's settings, the stair "shifts" a little. After a few iterations I discovered that the winder offset has grown from 1" to 6 1/2" !!!

I did not edit the turning point's riser offset from corner, it altered itself every time I edited the staircase's other attributes. What's more, I can't get it back to 1", the staircase doesn't respond to my settings.

I'll be happy to pose screenshots if necessary for assessment of my problem. Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Seems to be a known issue.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=270774

make sure you have the latest update.
I'm not sure if it has been fixed yet or not - the last update was not long after the linked post.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry, upon reading the post you've linked, I reexamined my staircase and discovered that not only has the turning point offset been altered, the staircase's baseline offset is 4 1/2", not 1/2" as set.

It's true that I'm using the older 3005 build ( could they update the install file for ArchiCAD 21 using the latest Build 4022 ?). I'll install the update and check if things get fixed and post back.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, installing the new build fixed the problem, though I had to recreate the stair in order for it to work. No more changes to the offset values happening on its own.

I'm still learning the tool and playing with the settings. So far the new stair tool looks good, I've tired both ArchiStair and CadImage stair plugins, this one seems more easy to use and stable. Though the railing sometimes fail to associate with the element below it, you have to delete and recreate it again. Also hand rails have ugly connections that have to be edited manually. Due to the complex nature of stairs it's hard to get a program to model it perfectly, some human intervention is inevitable.
Barry Kelly
It appears this shrinking problem has been fixed in the latest update build 5002.
Preview only at the moment for AUS, INT, UKI and USA language versions.
All language version should be out in a few weeks.
•233058 STAIR: Anytime the settings of a placed stair was opened and closed, the stair shrank with the value of the Baseline offset parameter.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=58211

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!