BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Large Model Crashing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anybody found that once a 3d model is over a certain size, the file is prone to crashing.

Im using V9 (latest build) with a G5, 2.7 GHz and 4.5 RAM. The AC file is around 40mb.....just keeps crashing when move to 3d. Have tested all lib parts etc. Is this a common experience?

Just out of interest, whats the largest site/ development people have modeled on here? Not really thinking masterplan but planning approval stage ie internal walls, windows stairs - just not quite construction.
9 REPLIES 9
TomWaltz
Participant
We had a 14-story apartment building, that was U-shaped, and about 150' by 450', and it opened in the 3D window, even with all layers turned on... it was a bit slow, but that's no surprise.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just managed to open it up by turning every layer on slowly and intermittently going into 3d. I have attached image to demonstrate the size Im talking about. Worryingly there is still more work and detail to input. Dont think this problem is over some how.

Thanks for the feedback.
TomWaltz
Participant
It does not look overly complex. What are your system specs?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
On occasion it could be one particular object and/or layer. May I recommend turn all layers on, and then turn off one layer and then do a 3D image.

If still slow, turn the layer you just turned off back on, and then repeat for each subsequent layer. I have done this in the past and found a particular object, usually fascia to completely slow the 3D image. In this case, I rebuilt the fascia and the 3D image improved significantly.

Grant
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a similar set of crashes in a 30 MB model when swtching to 3D. It turned out to be the parameters of a column set to zero for all dimensions. I know I didn't set them to zero. To trace it was a painful process of turning on each layer at a time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
System spec = PowerMacG5, Duel 2.7Ghz & 4.5G ram with the newly updated V9AC.

I have recently started to input library balconies, stairs and windows etc. There are alot of SEO's for land excavation and roads/ pavements are all mesh. Maybe its all adding up even though the design is pretty 'developer standard'.

I fear the only options are, as you say, to narrow down a bad part etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
I had a similar set of crashes in a 30 MB model when swtching to 3D. It turned out to be the parameters of a column set to zero for all dimensions. I know I didn't set them to zero. To trace it was a painful process of turning on each layer at a time.
The fastest way to find something like this is a binary search.

In this case model half the building (by stories or marquee). If it crashes, model half of that, if it doesn't model half of the other. Continue by halves until you've narrowed it down.

This is like the old game of twenty questions which can (theoretically) resolve from 1,048,576 items down to one in twenty steps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've only had one problem like this, and it was in a relatively small file. the program would completely crash when I opened the 3D window. and it turned out to be a bad library part (a tree at that ) I agree with Matthew though, doing a search like that is the fastest way to find the problem.

BTW: that model looks really nice, reminds me a lot of the new developments in the Butcher's Wharf / Shad Thames area.

cheers,
Dan
rm
Advisor
Mathew,

That was a great tip!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26