BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Layer Combinations and Attribute Manager

Harry04
Participant

Dear All

Im looking to copy a layer combination from one project to another.

The layer structure across the two projects is the same so ideally I would like the new layer combination to come across however refer to the existing layers in the existing project.

If I select the single layer combination I want (and exclude all Layers and uncheck the "include all Associated Layers" box...) the Layer Combination comes in empty.

So in AC24...if the underlying layer structure is the same across 2 projects should an imported layer combination automatically associate to the layers (which have the same index and name as the project the layer combination has come from) in the existing project?

Best

Harry

4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

@Harry04 wrote:

So in AC24...if the underlying layer structure is the same across 2 projects should an imported layer combination automatically associate to the layers (which have the same index and name as the project the layer combination has come from) in the existing project?

You would think it would copy the layer combination across and then link the correct layers to it if the index numbers for all the layers are identical in both files.

Or at least I would think that.

But it seems that is not the case.

Shouldn't be an issue though if the layer names and index numbers are the same - just leave the box ticked to include the associated layers.

If that starts duplicating layers though, then either they aren't identical, or there is a problem.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Unfortunately it does duplicate layers and these appear blank with no objects.  Index and name of layer looks the same.

I'll try on separate projects and see if that works

Harry 

I just tested in 25 with no problems.

Opened my template and deleted a few layer combinations (not actual layers).

Then in Attribute Manager I opened my template and selected those layer combinations and overwrote by index (do not append as that alters index numbers).

I tried including associated layers and also not including associated layers.

Results were the same.

Layer combinations were back with no duplicate layers and they worked with the same layers just as before.

All I can think is make sure you overwrite by index (preferably) or overwrite by name (should be fine if they are all exactly the same).

I did try append and that worked as well, it is just the newly added layer combinations will have new index numbers - not the same as they were in the file being copied from.

No matter what I try my imported layer combinations work with the existing layers and I am not getting any duplicate layers.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I too can get it working on test projects.  

No problem...I'll work on it.

Thanks for your help.

Harry

Learn and get certified!