BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Layer Intersection Group Number

toman311
Enthusiast
Okay, so I adjusted the layer intersection number in one project file and all of the modeled joists, which are complex profiles, didn't intersect. This created a line between the edges of the joists and the rim joist. I am applying the same technique to try and stop the intersection a column and a beam. I want a line where the column touches the beam. This technique doesn't apparently work though. Does anybody know why?
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
If your column and beam are in the same layer and that layer has an intersection number greater or equal to one then then the strength of your Building Materials come into play - the stronger material will cut the weaker one (Legacy mode must be turned off for this to happen). If both are equal strength I believe Archicad will still make one cut the other.

If the layer intersection number is zero then there will be no automatic intersections.

If they are in different layers then if the intersection number is the same for both layers they will cut each other based on BM strength.

If both layers have different numbers (or one or both are zero) then they won't cut each other.

Of course you can still do Solid Element Operations regardless of the layer intersection number so you can still control the cuts if you still need them when they are not automatic.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Also remember that the layer intersection number is stored in the layer combinations - so you have to adjust them there as well.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
B_E_A_T_
Advocate
Barry wrote:
If both are equal strength I believe Archicad will still make one cut the other.
Based on Element Priority, in this case the columns will cut the beams.
When Building Material, Layer Group Number and Junction Order are the same, Element Priority defines the intersection:
1) Columns
2) Beams
3) Slabs
4) Walls

More info on intersections in AC here and here.
(òÓ,)_\,,/

www.studiov2.be

Archicad 24/25/26
Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM

>>> Read my book!<<<
toman311
Enthusiast
I think it has something to do with the surfaces. If I change the surfaces of the touching column and beam, a line shows up between the two where they touch. This is what I want too. Any thoughts on why this is?

I tried the suggestions posted and that doesn't seem to affect whether a line is shown between the two. This apparently seems only so for columns and beams because what was suggested did work for beams against beams when I was doing floor framing.

Still, thanks guys!
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
Barry Kelly
Archicad will assume the same surface in the same plane will join seamlessly without a line.
Different surfaces in the same plane will show a joining line.

If you are not using the surface overrides then the surface you have defined in the Building Material will be used.

You can duplicate a surface and give it a new name so it looks the same as the original but Archicad will treat it as a separate surface and will show the joining line when touching the original surface.

So the layer intersection number and Building Material strengths determine which element is cut and the surface (or BM if no surface overrides active) determines if there will be a joining line or not (only for surfaces in the same plane).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!