BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Layer Techniques in AC 9 or 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, if this has been hashed over before, please excuse me... I did a search for layer related info and I didn't see what I was looking for.

LAYERS, whew! That is my weak point in drafting. I am familiar with some publications that deal with it but my question is regarding ArchiCAD's way of offering us access to the layers tool.

Is there a way to have a list of the layers in an open window off to the side that allows you to view the drawing at the same time, then when you click OFF a layer you immediately see the drawing data disappear from the drawing view? Is this called live update? It would make life so much easier. Is there an add-on for this feature?
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
Burginger wrote:

Is there a way to have a list of the layers in an open window off to the side that allows you to view the drawing at the same time, then when you click OFF a layer you immediately see the drawing data disappear from the drawing view? Is this called live update? It would make life so much easier. Is there an add-on for this feature?

If I understood you correctly, the "Quick Layers Palette" should do this. It is under :Windows, Palette Display, Quick Layers.

If you select something in a window, the middle section allows you to turn-off the layer of what you had selected.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Burginger,

You are not alone in being 'weak' on layer control. When discussing this with colleagues, we found that the layer of an object is the last thing we check (after line-type, colour, etc.) and often completely neglect!

A feature you may find useful is 'Active Layer' under 'Options'. If you turn this on, you can choose a layer for all subsequent elements (until you turn it off again). So, if you're doing a plumbing layout, for example, you can set the layer to 'Drainage' and then everything will go on it, whether it's a line, an arc, text or sanitary fitment.

- Keith
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keith, thanks I didn't know about that layer control tool. It should be a huge help. Thanks.
Learn and get certified!