Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Layer Visibility of Hotlink Module

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you control the layer visibility of a hotlink module once place in a file? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Erika Epstein
Booster
Create a module layer which will allow you to have the module show up.
When the module is visible with its layer turned on, the layers within will be visible and/or locked based on your active layer combination.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika,

I thought that is what I did, but some layers are still off, and when I open the module everything is visible and unlocked. But when I open the file to which the module is attached, some layers are turned off. To work around it and same me time, I opened the hotlink module and moved the elements from the invisible layers to a visible layer, and now they are visible. But it still would be good to know why the layers were not visible in the main file and yet visible in the module when you open it. Thanks.
Erika Epstein
Booster
It is working for me as it should.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika, thanks. It did work in the end.
proto
Advocate

Piggybacking onto this thread...

Can Section/Elevation markers be turned off for the hotlinked file when they are visible in the project that is active?

mac ACv27/4001, US full, Sonoma 14.1.2, 2020 iMac/2023 MacBook Pro

Only if they are in a different layer to those in the main file.

And that different layer is turned off in the main file.

To clarify how hotlinks and layers work...

When you bring a hotlink in to a main file, the hotlink has a master layer.

If the hotlink master layer is turned off, all of the hotlink will be turned off.

If the hotlink master layer is on, then the other layers in the hotlink will respond normally as you turn them on/off.

If your hotlink has the same layers as your main file, then it will all work as normal so long as the hotlink master layer is on.

If your hotlink has different layers to the main file, you can control them separately - you will need to include them in any layer combinations if you want to automate them.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
proto
Advocate

@Barry Kelly that’s helpful, thank you

mac ACv27/4001, US full, Sonoma 14.1.2, 2020 iMac/2023 MacBook Pro