Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Layer intersection group - ArchiCAD Layer

andrewzarb
Booster
I have found that my ArchiCAD Layer has its intersection group set to two in some layer combinations and one in others.

I can't change the layer intersection group of the ArchiCAD Layer in the Layer settings or the Attribute manager.

Two questions:

1.How did it change?

2.How do I change it back?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
3. Does it matter as no modeled elements should be on the Archicad layer anyway
andrewzarb
Booster
s2art wrote:
3. Does it matter as no modeled elements should be on the Archicad layer anyway
Where is that rule written?
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's just one of those unwritten but widely accepted rules (or more of a strong recommendation).
andrewzarb
Booster
Ah yes, the Holy ArchiCAD Layer!

We have it, but we can't use it.

Can anyone answer my original questions?
Barry Kelly
Andrew,
The Archicad layer is perfectly fine to use so long as you are aware that whatever you put in it will show in all views.
As this is not usually the case then that is why most people never use it.
But if it works for you then go right ahead.

As for your problem I don't know if there is much you will be able to do about it.
I have seen the Archicad layer re-name itself and be turned off.
But you can never make it do this.
Why it happens is a mystery but I haven't seen it for a while.

Maybe if you use the attribute manager to bring in the layers and layer combination from another job or template that is set up the same as your corrupted one might be the only solution.
I don't actually know if this will work though.

Or try merging or copy/paste to an new file.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
A hack to fix this is you switch to a combo that has the correct intersection number, then hit new and create a new combo. Adjust that combo to what you need and then hit update. Delete the unused ones as needed.

I've seen my fair share of weirdness from ArchiCAD. When I first started working with this software we received a project that was done in an international version of ArchiCAD. Copy 'n pasted over the model to our template but something happened and it introduced a corruption to our working template that took a long time to rectify. One of the things that eventually happened was the Archicad layer duplicated itself several times and had odd names like . and M and ^.

I used to use the Archicad layer myself but now I only use it to move objects between projects so I don't have to worry about layer cleanup afterward. When you're trying to do certain things, it's better to have the option to turn off everything if you need that option instead of having to work around it when the only difference really is one layer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
zeropointreference wrote:
A hack to fix this is you switch to a combo that has the correct intersection number, then hit new and create a new combo. Adjust that combo to what you need and then hit update. Delete the unused ones as needed.
But be aware that these new layer combinations will not be recognised in previously saved views, even if they have the same name. They will show as MISSING.
zeropointreference wrote:
I used to use the Archicad layer myself but now I only use it to move objects between projects so I don't have to worry about layer cleanup afterward.
Yes. I do the same. I even go as far as changing all elements I need to the Archicad layer and deleting all others, as sometimes the layers are transferred to the new file even if nothing is on that layer. This is most often for things such as window profile details from manufacturers, which generally have only 8-10 layers in them anyway. Not sure I would do this from another project file.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
s2art wrote:
But be aware that these new layer combinations will not be recognised in previously saved views, even if they have the same name. They will show as MISSING.
I don't think this is the case, not in ArchiCAD 14 anyway. It is my understanding that attributes that are assigned to elements are referenced by their ID and attributes that are assigned to views are referenced by their name. So as long as the layer combo name ends up the same, the view will reference it again.

The last time I saw the ArchiCAD layer change like that Andrew was due to an old cadimage bug where an 'ArchiCAD Master Layer' was being created and interfering with the ArchiCAD Layer. That was back in AC10, but you don't have that layer by any chance do you?

I must admit that I am advocate of not using the ArchiCAD layer, not for production work anyway.

Cheers,
Link.
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I have to second Link: There used to be a bug a few versions ago that could cause the ArchiCAD layer properties change. Such properties could have been carried forward in templates. You can fix it by re-creating the layer combo, and Link is right - as long as the name is the same, it should not be missing in views.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft