Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Level Dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to show spot elevations of ceiling slabs on my RCP's. When I use the level dimensioning tool it gives me a dimension to the top of the ceiling slab (i.e. 9'-1"). The ceiling elevation should be 9'-0". This slab is also linked in sections correctly. It seems that I need to change a level dimension setting somewhere that dimensions to the bottom of the slab instead of the top? Any suggestions would be great?

Thanks,

Brian
11 REPLIES 11
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
The Level Dimension will always dimension to the top of an element. You will need to create a Label see this post for James Murray's to return the "bottom" elevation.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laura. I tried both the Slab Elev JM9 and Universal label tools. Neither will load in my AC 10. It seems that these were made in AC8. Does anyone make a version for AC10 or 11?

Brian
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
You just need to open the part up in AC10 and save it in order to make it AC10 compatible (although I'm not sure why it's not reading an AC9 object). Attached is our Label, based on James's, for you to try.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura:

Thanks, that seems to be inserted in the label too fine. I see how I can make a static text entry (i.e. 9'-0" AFF). How do I link it to a particular slab, wall or roof?

Thanks again for your help.

Brian
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
This particular object only works for Slabs. Open the Label Tool, select the Slab Tool, and choose the Label object from the pulldown (check and make sure you have the desired layer active) and close. Now select the slabs you want to dimension in the Story window, open up their dialogs, check the box "Label Slab" under the "Listing and Labeling" panel, and close. The selected slabs now have associated Labels, that will appear when the designated layer is on.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, thank you.....Thanks works great.
Llian
Advocate
I don' get it....Please help with screen shots. Thanks.
I select the Label tool / Slab tool .
I select the Slab tool / Label & Listing { what should I be putting in there ?\
I drew the outline of the slab I want to have the level.
The arrow came out with an empty frame.
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Interior-Architecture and BIM Management
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
Srinivas
Booster
Make sure you load the label object that you've downloaded from the library manager and in the label tool select slab tool and make sure you use the label object is assigned to label the slab.

Select the "Label Slab" setting in the Slab tool's - Label's and Listing, now it should list your bottom level of the slab.
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
Llian
Advocate
Thank you ...but I'm having trouble to download the slab tool from the library manager...please see the screen shots. Appreciate your help.
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Interior-Architecture and BIM Management
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!