BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Library Globals

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hopefully someone with more gdl/library knowledge will be able to help.

After updating to AC 14 I began having issues with my Library Globals not showing up in v.13 projects. I have since traced the issue and corrected it, the cause apparently being that I edited the "LibraryGlobals.gsm" in v.14. I replaced that .gsm with a previous version that was edited w v.13 and all seems to be ok now, but that leads to a more interesting question...

If a .gsm parts is edited in v.14 does it become unusable in a previous version of AC? or is it only parts such as Library Globals that are not truly independent parts?

Should I be keeping a v.13 Bim Server Library and a v.14 Bim Server Library?
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
jbissaillon wrote:
If a .gsm parts is edited in v.14 does it become unusable in a previous version of AC?
Correct.
A library part edited in a particular version can only be read by that version or future versions.
So you either maintain a library for each version or do all your library part editing in the oldest version you want to use.
You will only need to edit library parts in the latest version if you want a particular new function - but make sure you keep the original library part to use in the older versions.

I script most of my parts in version 10 still but if there is a feture of a newer version I need to use I don't bother editing the part again in 13 or 14.
I just do the following.

if REQ("GDL_version")>=1.604 then !!VER13 and above
... script new commands here - ie Library Globals
endif

This way older versions will ignore the commands that it can't do.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry!
Frank Beister
Advisor
... script new commands here - ie Library Globals
In my experience you can't save an object with commands, which do not exist in the current AC version. Global parameters and runtime environment values of course, but not new commands.

I found only one trick to exclude the commands in a macro object, which is called depending von GDL version. The makro is written and saved in the upper version.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Learn and get certified!