BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Library Migration (from 22 to 23)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, anytime i try opening an archicad 22 project in 23 and that I accept the library migration, every doors and windows won't be migrating and then I will find myself with no doors or windows having to replace them all with a 23 version.

This is kind of a big problem for us.

Thank you,
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
I have no idea what this looks like on a MAC, but are the migration libraries all present in your program installation folder.
They should be there by default.

You can also manually load these libraries in the Library manager, so try that if the automatic migrate option is not working.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had that problem going way back to V 9. Every time I do an upgrade (and I am about to go to V23 for V22) I do the migration thing and the migrated libraries are in the correct location but the problem I find is that the "migrated" libraries are not full copies of the old library but are a subset of some of the old library. So if the new library has new names for the doors, windows, etc. than in the old library AC can't find the object and thus can't place the object. In the past I have asked about the option of merging the old library with the new one but that really isn't possible. Before I upgrade I am going to do a little experimenting with my libraries so that I can add all of the objects of the old library to the new by expanding both the old and new libraries and copying over the old to the new. With windows it will tell me if the file/object being transferred is already in the folder and if so I can have that file transfer stopped and move on to the next. Windows also allows for a "do this with all similar objects" command which will cause windows to copy/move files of different names. The result will be an updated new library with all old objects not in the new and will take care of the name changes as well. I can then create a new .lcf file to use as the Library 23 because I was told that when opening AC it automatically looks for Library (ver. #) first. If it works I will post the process incase anyone is interested.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Within all of the default door and window objects is a Migration Script which contains the GUID of the previous versions equivalent door / window. So unless the US doors and windows have not been scripted with this, or your library has been modified, they should be migrating. As far as I know, the migration libraries just contain objects that have not been carried forward and hence cannot be migrated.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
Just be careful.
The library part names we see have nothing to do with migration.
There is an internal GUID number that Archicad refers to.
The migration library is not a full library as some objects don't need to be migrated - they will simply swap with the new library object.

If your version 22 library has an object with a GUID of "xxx" (it is actually a 64 character ID) and the 23 library has a part with the same ID("xxx"), then the part will be swapped (regardless of the object names) - that is why "Door 22" will automatically become "Door 23".

Migration is required when an object can't be swapped because the new one has new parameters that didn't exist in the old version, so the new values need to be set based on the old parameter values - otherwise you objects may mysteriously change in appearance because of the wrong settings.
So the migration script says, if you find a 22 object that has an ID of "xxx" and that object no longer exists in the 23 library, then swap it for the 23 object with ID of "yyy" - and set the new parameter values based on the old settings.

If you copy the 22 object into the 23 library, the swap (migration) will not occur, as the original 22 object still exists.
Migration only occurs when the original object is missing.
So you may as well not load the 23 library, just keep using the 22 library.

So I suspect you may not be getting a successful migration if you have the 22 library, 22 migration library and 23 library loaded at the same time.
You should have just the 22 migration library (or other migration libraries for older versions if needed) and the new 23 library.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!