Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Library organization of objects

SimpleTwig
Participant
Is there a way to reorganize the folders and objects in AC17 library?

To be specific I was hoping to group things together so their easier to access and don't require so much digging around in folders (understanding that they are placed in spec order), for instance, putting all Bathroom fixtures and accessories together, or all kitchen items together. It appears that the library is now in a 'pack' that can't be opened called 'Object Library 17.lcf'

Others that bug me are doors, like a revolving door in it's own folder, the 2 bi-fold doors, metal doors... not exactly hard to find if they were all in one folder.

Also, were does one put custom objects I've created? Should I just place a folder in the ArchiCAD 17 Library folder to make them load properly?

Thanks.
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7,
RAM: 16GB 1333MHz DDR3
12 REPLIES 12
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can extract the ArchiCAD Library LCF to your hard drive. Then you can rearrange its folders and then create an LCF again.
This will hoever cause that if there is a Library Hotfix it will not be able to update because you changed it. So you may save a copy of the LCF and manipulate that. In that case, when there is a Library Hotfix you will probably need to redo those folder customizations.

Project-specific objects should be placed into the Embedded Library, that guarantees that they will always be available for the Project.

It is probably a good idea and easier/cleaner to manage if you just leave the ArchiCAD default Library alone, then load it, plus load any Office Libraries, and store project-specific objects in the Embedded Library.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
SimpleTwig
Participant
laszlonagy wrote:
You can extract the ArchiCAD Library LCF to your hard drive. Then you can rearrange its folders and then create an LCF again.
This will hoever cause that if there is a Library Hotfix it will not be able to update because you changed it. So you may save a copy of the LCF and manipulate that. In that case, when there is a Library Hotfix you will probably need to redo those folder customizations.

Project-specific objects should be placed into the Embedded Library, that guarantees that they will always be available for the Project.

It is probably a good idea and easier/cleaner to manage if you just leave the ArchiCAD default Library alone, then load it, plus load any Office Libraries, and store project-specific objects in the Embedded Library.

Thanks laszlonagy.

How do you extract the file, and then recreate the LCF? I'm running AC17 on both PC and Mac. My goal was to modify it now and just copy it to the other machine.

I'll be sure to keep the original LCF intact and modify the copy.

Hot Fix: I also get the notion of hot fixes and what that'll mean so plan on making a sort of road map of where I'm putting the files so I can do it consistently and quickly in the future.

When you refer to the Embedded Library for project specific objects or other object libraries I might purchase, I think I understand that as 'File>Libraries>Adding a Library' and then choosing a folder I've placed in the ArchiCAD Library 17, thus having multiple libraries loaded for a project. Is this correct?

As far as not doing this and leaving the library as is, I think, considering the number of projects I'll do this year, that I'll save a lot of time/frustration (from searching). I also want to just put my own objects directly in the AC17 library (a separate folder), like cars, people, etc. that I use. It just makes things way more efficient. I appreciate your help in putting doing this in perspective.
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
Eduardo Rolon
Here
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

SimpleTwig
Participant
Thanks erolon, looks easy enough to extract and build from that menu. I'll give it a try.
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
SimpleTwig
Participant
i have a possible related question, now that the library is open...

In order to change some of the default parameters of an object and the way it looks in plan, specifically it's default fill, could I double click on an object to open it, select 'Parameters' (I think) and select a different fill type than it's current default of 'Fill 85: solid + dot&dashed'?

Is this correct and the best way of setting the defaults of an object?

I've never liked the 'Fill 85: solid + dot&dashed' as it never comes in at the right scale and the lines are as heavy as the object's lines which create confusion on the plan. Besides if I have note arrows across an object I don't want those to be confused with a fill.

My thoughts are to pick empty fill.
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
SimpleTwig wrote:
In order to change some of the default parameters of an object and the way it looks in plan, specifically it's default fill, could I double click on an object to open it, select 'Parameters' (I think) and select a different fill type than it's current default of 'Fill 85: solid + dot&dashed'?

Is this correct and the best way of setting the defaults of an object?
Yes. Save the file after making the changes to the parameters to set the defaults.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
SimpleTwig
Participant
Thanks David,

I plan on saving a library both with and without parameter changes, then share it.

DEFAULT FILLS: I wonder if anyone else feels the same way I do regarding the current object default fills? For me it's just one more thing I have to do (opening the object and changing the fill to empty typically) before moving on to other parts of my project.

HOT FIX OVERWRITES? And I suspect that changing a default parameter will be lost once a hotfix is released. Is this correct? Just to understand, if a library hotfix is release, will it overwrite the entire library and all their objects, hence is there a chance to loose all the work I did (I would keep a backup copy, but I plan on using the current library name so I don't have to load it every time (Object Library 17))?
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
Eduardo Rolon
SimpleTwig,

A Library Update will overwrite your changes so you will need to redo them. You will also need to redo them every year when the new version of AC is released

There are 2 options that I can see that should be more productive.

1. Create an Office library with only the objects that you need, save it with a different name, link that to your projects and remove the base AC17 library from them. You will need to track the changes to see if an object in your office library needs to be updated and you will need to redo the work at a minimum yearly when a new version of AC comes out.

or

2. Just spend the time defining Favourites of how you want the objects to look since they cannot be overwritten by Library Updates and can be migrated to a new version of AC when the time comes. This should be easier to maintain and you can use the Favourites Palette and the Search field to find the objects you need. I think this is what most of us do.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

SimpleTwig
Participant
I will look into these options ejrolon.

For me the organization is just part of the issue. The other issue is the default settings on many of the objects are also wasting lots of time. Fills, default openings, line types, etc. are really driving me nuts having to open an object and search though all the options to find that one place where I can, for instance, have a bi-fold show as 'open' by putting in 6" in the right spot (and yes it is a graphic standard to show bi-fold open always as it shows what they are immediately to contractors so they don't confuse it with a wall, panels or whatever). Even how door and window markers are positioned in ArchiCAD are troublesome and a time consuming effort to 'fix.'

Also, I find it quicker to 'look' at and object (and thus see all my options and choices) rather than use the search function.

If I'm going to go to the trouble of opening objects and fix these defaults you can pretty much be sure I will never update the Library for at least 5 versions, let alone worry about hot-fixes. I want this program to be functional so that my focus remains on designing and not on the backstage stuff.

Part of my goal is also to convince GraphiSoft that their library needs real work so that it becomes very easy to use from the end user's pov, as it should be. I mean what's the point of having a default fill for a piece of furniture that's concrete block? Wouldn't that essentially interfere graphically with a wall of the same fill type?
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5