Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Lines in True weight. Rounded tip? or squared?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have this problem when drawing details and I print them they don't look very good because the tips of the lines are rounded on their ends (visible on the screen aswell when you zoom in the tip of a line in trueweight mode). Is there a way to draw with lines that have squared tips?

Thanks,
Lukas
41 REPLIES 41
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
No there isn't.
Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought so.....

Thanks anyway...
Chazz
Enthusiast
LukasB wrote:
Is there a way to draw with lines that have squared tips?
Use a solid fill instead. I actually do this occasionally (like on title blocks). Or make a lib object and stretch it.

Choosing the end treatment of lines has long been a feature of adobe illustrator and I miss it in AC now and then.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought about the fills, but it takes twice as much to make a drawing...I wish there was a faster way to do this. Why are the tips rounded anyway??

Thanks Chazz
Chazz
Enthusiast
In plan windows you could use walls of zero height. This, like all workarounds will have it share of unwelcome side-effects.
LukasB wrote:
Why are the tips rounded anyway??
This is a question shrouded in unknowable hungarian mystery. However, as a default it is definitely the best choice because it cleans up intersections automatically.
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
probably because drafting pens have round tips (at least after the mid 60's. Until then they used some type of ink pen -I have a set named Graphos- which could produce square corners)
Also by hand there was a workaround:
first use .6 to .8 and then refine the corners with .1...etc?

What is more important IMHO is that ArchiCAD does not place thick lines inside the wall mass on plan , but on the axis of lines..

Petros
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Chazz
Enthusiast
Petros wrote:
What is more important IMHO is that ArchiCAD does not place thick lines inside the wall mass on plan, but on the axis of lines.
Petros, could you say more about this? I'm not getting it.
Chris Phillips
Contributor
If the detail is an independant drawing.... why not us a wall with a solid fill instead of a thick line?

Chris
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Dear Chazz,
One of the principles of inking in architectural drawing is that when you use the rapidograph to ink a sectioned element you place the line thickness (of an inking instrument such as 0.6mm ) inside the width of the sectioned element.
For example (by hand)
for a 30cm wall on a 1:50 plan you draw at first (with pencil on a calque paper) two parallel lines with distance 6mm.
when you have to ink this with a 0.6mm rapidograph you have to place the line inside the mass of the wall so that the final width of the wall does not change (in case someone tries to measure something from the drawing).
Cad applications such as ArchiCAD do not do that but they place the thickness on the axis of the actual drawn line. So if you try to measure a wall from a plan with visible pen widths then it would be a little bigger than drawn.
It is more a visual problem and not a critical one since nowdays CAD CD's usually use one thickness and too many dimensions just to reassure that nobody will try to measure anything from paper...
Petros
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB